Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Possible cypress floor for the addition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible cypress floor for the addition

Saw in the quick quarter/dandy dime that there is a fella with a portable saw mill who travels to your place. Thought about taking down this one way in the back. Nice and straight with plenty of lumber for sure. If he rough cuts, I'll plane and tongue and groove. What do you figure is the drying time before I prepare for the floor?

Name:  Cypress 1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  Cypress 2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  105.5 KB

Checked on the fig tree Gene gave me, one lone spot in the yard with full sun. I'm going to bite into those big time once ripe:

Name:  Fig tree.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  106.1 KB

A couple of blackberries just picked. Just for snacks. Not going to put any away this year, have several gallons in the freezer.

Name:  Blackberries.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  133.2 KB

Back to work, just taking a break right now.
    Randy Andres

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy....I buy saw mill lumber a good bit....I stack with spacers between the boards and air dry before I plane them or do anything....I have a electronic moisture meter.....I do not do anything until it gets below 20 percent.....air drying in the back of my shop takes 6 months or more.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy, my grandfather would go ring (chop a 1" grove all around the tree) a cypress tree in the fall as the leaves turned brown. Then he'd cut it down in the spring before the sap to return. After sawing, he would then stand them on end to dry by putting up a horizontal board between to trees about as high as 2/3 the length of the cut lumber. He'd then put the boards almost vertical alternating one from this side and one from the other side making it look like the rafters on an A-frame. Of course the boards were elevated off the ground. The boards would stay there all summer before they were brought inside and stacked with spacers. The lumber was then used the following year.

No matter how you do it, it needs to be very dry. Also cypress is a soft wood and will not wear well unless protected with a hard finish.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks fellas, that's why inquired here. Knew we had some master craftsman here. Guess it won't happen, thought a decent idea. Gene, you're right about it being soft. Downstairs I have 3/4" red oak laid, while upstairs is long leaf pine which is soft as well. Did wear down nicely to give it a unique look, but don't want it downstairs. Thanks again.
    Randy Andres

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting the tree down is still not a bad idea. Have it sawn and put it away in the attic of one of the sheds to age. You can then use in on nice projects next year or two.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I do a bit if carving and something else you might want to when you start drying the sawn boards is seal the ends with Anchor Seal, or brushed on paint can be used. It'll help prevent checking and splitting at the ends.
    Likes "G", Tracker123 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

exactly right
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep