Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Station

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Space Station

Just came in from watching the space station orbit. You can sign up on NASA to get alerts. Also on a side note, what a fantastic sky to the west tonite with a sliver of moon and venus and I think jupiter almost in line. Now back to the space station. Anyone else do this? I am just amazed by the thought of it. Tonite, Mae and I had her almost 99 year young mother outside with us. I said to her, can you imagine, they were still experimenting with flight when you were born, and now we have people living in space. Can you imagine all the changes in her lifetime. I think internet is the best invention in my 60 years. If you want to, share your's. "D"
    Last edited by "D"; 06-20-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

I had read somewhere about the NASA notifications. I would really enjoy something like that but have way too many very tall trees.
    Randy Andres

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I looked skyward to get a glimpse of something flying in space was on Feb. 1, 2003. That was the evening the space shuttle Columbia was coming back to earth after 16 days in orbit. It was heading for a landing at Cape Canaveral and was to be seen as it crossed over South Louisiana. At the time for it's passing, I pulled over into a large parking lot to watch the sky. The designated time came and went and nothing appeared in the sky. I thought perhaps that I was just not in a good viewing area and that I had missed it. Disappoint I continued on my journey. A little while latter I learned of the disaster and got sick to my stomach. I'm just glad I didn't get to see the pieces fall to earth.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker123 View Post
    I had read somewhere about the NASA notifications. I would really enjoy something like that but have way too many very tall trees.
    Randy, you would still get to see it on a clear night. The times and directions they send are very accurate. Looks like a bright fast moving star. Looked up a couple stats to answer MIL's questions. It is moving 17,500 mph. About 5 miles a second. Circles the earth every 92 minutes.That means a sunrise and sunset almost every hour and a half. Orbit is not quite a circle. Closest it gets on its orbit is 205 miles, furthest is 270 miles.

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

PawPaw, I have seen the shuttle on reentry in the past. Left a huge fiery streak across the sky,like a giant bottle rocket. Sonic boom comes a while after you see it.

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a little bit faster than a good Chevrolet lol
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We also get the NASA notifcations on email and text to my phone. Me wife and I have had several neighbors standing in the street watching it with us and it is amazing to see. Sometimes it is so clear you can see the outriggers on it.
    Here is the link to it: NASA - Spot The Station
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes RMGeorge, "D" LIKED above post

RMGeorge is offline Louisiana Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link, got it bookmarked.

I vividly recall the excitement of watching Sputnik pass over in 1957. Was only 4 years old but still remember being with my father, uncles, and grandparents standing out in the yard watching it pass.
    Proud member of Team Geezer!

The grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God shall stand forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    The last time I looked skyward to get a glimpse of something flying in space was on Feb. 1, 2003. That was the evening the space shuttle Columbia was coming back to earth after 16 days in orbit. It was heading for a landing at Cape Canaveral and was to be seen as it crossed over South Louisiana. At the time for it's passing, I pulled over into a large parking lot to watch the sky. The designated time came and went and nothing appeared in the sky. I thought perhaps that I was just not in a good viewing area and that I had missed it. Disappoint I continued on my journey. A little while latter I learned of the disaster and got sick to my stomach. I'm just glad I didn't get to see the pieces fall to earth.
    "gene"
    I was in east Texas that day on my way to a wedding in Houston. I saw the Columbia disaster but at the time I thought it was a comet or the like. My niece knew where I was suppose to be so she called and ask if I so anything. When I told her what I saw she told me it was the Columbia; very sick feeling............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMGeorge View Post
    Thanks for the link, got it bookmarked.

I vividly recall the excitement of watching Sputnik pass over in 1957. Was only 4 years old but still remember being with my father, uncles, and grandparents standing out in the yard watching it pass.
    LOL! I was 12 then and had gotten a new puppy. I named him "Muttnik!
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes "D", RMGeorge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast