Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: When fishing a new lake - how do you find the crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: When fishing a new lake - how do you find the crappie?

OK, I have been crappie fishing for several years now, and have been reading lots of stuff about this new (to me) sport regarding jig fishing. With all the flooding of the lakes closest to me in the DFW area, I am now forced to search new lakes to crappie fish. So,........ I am trying to understand how to find the crappie on an unfamiliar body of water. Sounds rather straight forward, right? Well, I am really struggling with this!

I know that I'm suppose to study the topographical map to locate the creeks, drop-offs, etc. But, after I locate the creeks, drop-offs, and points, what is the logic/reasoning that I can/should use to decide on which creeks to follow - looking for crappie - and which ones to eliminate; and which drop-offs and/or points to focus on, and which ones to forget about - at least at first?

I know about following creek beds, but most lakes have lots of them, so how do you narrow it to a few? Sounds logical, right?

I really appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the water temp. I found this on this site it is real neat way to help find them. http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r.../fishntemp.gif
    Learn to use a good fishing sonar unit(fishfinder) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQQdjE_HH4
    Also search the lake out on google earth there is a icon that will let you go back in time on google earth and sometimes you can find interesting pictures of a lake when it was at a lower pool of water.
    Sometimes watching others fishing on a new lake will give you and idea where to fish.
    If all else fells hire a guide.
    Pulling cranks also covers a lot of water quickly and when you find them throw out a buoy and go back and jig fish there later.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Ferdi LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am not really qualified to tell anyone how/where to catch fish. But I will say some things regarding the temp suggestions from Big Sandy River. These temps and corresponding depths may be perfect for a river, but high summertime temps in a reservoir will cause a thermocline and fish rarely go below that. If you have any electronics at all, you will be able to adjust and "see" the thermocline and what depth it is. Most guys won't fish below that level. Another exception relating to high temps is that crappie will definitely go into shallow water to chase and eat shad. Fish can sometimes be caught in water less than 4' even when surface temps are in the 90° range. I have been taught to "start shallow and work your way into deeper water while looking for fish" Lakes and reservoirs are unique in the way they stratify. Each has a thermocline that will be nearly the same depth from year to year, and even tho some of these lakes are neighbors, they may be very, very different in the depth of thermocline.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

FISH Finder...thermalcline...Fish near or above...Use LIVE minnows...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsj1000 View Post
    OK, I have been crappie fishing for several years now, and have been reading lots of stuff about this new (to me) sport regarding jig fishing. With all the flooding of the lakes closest to me in the DFW area, I am now forced to search new lakes to crappie fish. So,........ I am trying to understand how to find the crappie on an unfamiliar body of water. Sounds rather straight forward, right? Well, I am really struggling with this!

I know that I'm suppose to study the topographical map to locate the creeks, drop-offs, etc. But, after I locate the creeks, drop-offs, and points, what is the logic/reasoning that I can/should use to decide on which creeks to follow - looking for crappie - and which ones to eliminate; and which drop-offs and/or points to focus on, and which ones to forget about - at least at first?

I know about following creek beds, but most lakes have lots of them, so how do you narrow it to a few? Sounds logical, right?

I really appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.
    And which "jig fishing" method are you talking about using ??

As to how to eliminate water on a new lake ... don't try to cover the whole lake. There'll be fish in most areas of the lake, so pick a creek or two or a section of the lake & concentrate your efforts there. If you can find an area of the new lake that is very similar to the areas of the lakes you normally fish, then fish it the same way.

Find the thermocline depth, and don't fish below that depth ... find cover that comes up off the bottom & extends "above" the thermocline depth, be that a standing tree, brushpile, or hump with stumps. Concentrate on the "loners" ... that one tree or small group of trees that's out there all by itself, away from a large area of standing trees ... that one brushpile that's "alone" but close to a significant depth drop.

Once water temps get much above 75deg ... Black Crappie will likely be in deep brush, while White Crappie will likely be suspended out in open water & following Shad schools. That's why longline trolling & pushing/pulling cranks are favored during the heat. You might find them shallow early, especially on banks shaded from the rising Sun ... but, once that Sun gets over that water, they're either going to bury deep into the brush or migrate out to the open water depths & chase Shad (or at least stay close to them).

And as has been said ... the better your electronics, the better chance of finding these fish. They may be schooled up, or they may be scattered about. All that depends on whether or not that new lake has gone through a flooded period or progressed normally over the last month or so. At least that's been the situation around here ... since our lakes were all flooded from the heavy snows of March & flooding rains of April, and took them nearly to the end of May to get back down to normal pool. All spawning attempts were busted by the quick rise & fast fall of the water levels, so the post spawn regrouping of schools was delayed.

Just my opinion & observation ... I reserve the right to be totally wrong

... cp
    Likes Tony the Tiger, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

LOOK ON THE TEXAS BOARD AND SEE IF ANY INFORMATION OF THE LAKE U WANT TO FISH IS THERE,NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS A GOOD CRAPPIE LAKE OR WHAT,DRIVE AROUND TO BOAT LANDING AND SEE IF MANY CRAPPIE FISHERMEN AND WHAT LANDING THEY PERFER,TALK TO THEM AND ASK GENERAL QUESTION,LIKE DEPTH,STYLE OF FISHING,GLANCE AT HIS TACKLE.IF LAKE HAS MUCH CURRENT IT PROBABLY WILL NOT STRATIFY.WHAT KIND OF UNITS DO U HAVE AND HOW GOOD R U AT INTERPRETING THEM? WHAT STYLE OF FISHING R U USE TO,HARD TO TRY SOMETHING U R NOT USE TO ON A LAKE U R NOT USE TO.GIVE SOME INFORMATION OF LAKE ,MAYBE SOMEONE KNOW THAT LAKE AND CAN HELP U
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

dsj1000 , I hope you find some answers to meet your needs. Good info. Welcome to C.c also.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome Aboard!

Welcome to C.c! Sticking around here and asking questions is one of the best opportunities you have for success on any body of water. Some great answers have already been said. Just like to know what presentations you've tried? And if you use your sonar? The particular species you are targeting would be helpful as well - black or white crappie?

Good Luck and we'll look forward to your reports and/or questions. You're in good company here.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Search questions usually have no simple answers - especially in summer.

How deep is the lake? This is relevant regarding weedy flats that may hold different species of fish.

What type of weeds? Fishing shallow pad beds for crappy is different than fishing isolated clusters of pads in deeper water. The former would benefit from an 8' dipping rod where the lure is lowered in pockets, barely moving a finesse action lure (hair, soft plastic).

Humps and irregular bottom contours make fishing far more interesting than extensive flat soft bottoms. Hard bottoms with rocks and stumps for some reason seem to hold bait fish and therefore crappie. Look for bait fish via sonar (the most important tool to find fish other than search lures!)

Slower is always better in summer heated water. Some lures must be moved faster to get their tails to wiggle. Pause & glide lures have been working far better for me for all species - even a 3 3/4 lb bass I caught yesterday along with the largest crappie the lake has to offer - 10.5". Water temp was around 80, but the fishing was phenomenal! What helped was a 7mph wind and some clouds. Which brings up the affects of weather and light intensity. Many times fish will be slapping forage near the surface on cloudy breezy days in holding areas known for that time of year. The absolute worst fishing for me is on cloudless sunny days with calm water.

Areas you found or didn't find fish will change daily (except during the spawn). Note key structure areas and search them. For me, humps, flats, significant drops of at least 3', underwater rock ridges adjacent to deep pools and weedy flats all produced good catches.

The bigger the water, the more you have to discover regarding the above every time you fish it. Seasonal patterns are generally important but on some days other patterns dominate (IE deeper or shallow patterns, weed or weedless open water over hard structure and deeper water).

Interesting also are schools of crappy that swim parallel to shallow flats and shore lines or that school in certain areas for no reason except they're just there and may contain mixed schools that are always a blast to fish!

As is the case for most fishing - lighter line, slower lure presentations constantly checking from near surface to the bottom and never assuming earlier is always better adds to finding potentially good areas. Never assume fish are active regardless. Lures can and do provoke/stimulate a school or individual fish which is important on patternless days. It's just a matter of keeping that lure as close to fish eyeballs as long as possible.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you a few things about KY Lake, Big Sandy area. Sometimes I can catch fish, but I don't put a lot of effort in catching like I use to. I enjoy just being with my pals on the water.

Fish don't roam too far from where they hatch most times. Like any animal, they graze where the grass is plenty. There exists a shallow water brood of fish and there exists a deep water brood of fish. I believe science bears this out.

Last 5 years I have concentrated on fishing shallow waters (5-15 ft) and find myself hooking good numbers of blacks (single pole or two) even in the heat of summer. It seems that the blacks have become the dominant species here on West Sandy. The blacks tend to be more tolerant of warmer, shallow water.

I am taking up cranking this year and going looking for the big whites again.

Knowing your fish habits and changing tactics is the big plus in catching crappie. Period.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Tony the Tiger, chaunc LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast