Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some advice on reelfoot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some advice on reelfoot?

Hey Guys- I am headed to reelfoot the mid to end of march and would like any input on where to stay, fish and how that time of year is? Any help would be appreciated.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We went down two years ago in March. We went I think the first weekend of March. We stayed at the sprotsman resort on the upper basin. Not a resort by the wifes standards but worked great for a few days fishing. We missed the spawn by about two weeks. It was cold and windy all three days we fished. We fished all the cypess trees first day with little success. Second day started watching locals slow trolling and spider rigging stump feilds. We had to throw anchor out front of boat and troll backwards to get speed right. Next two days we put some numbers in the boat but no giants like we read about. A few over 15". We stayed on the north end because it is more protected from the wind. I will return to try again sometime soon. End of March or begining of April should be good. If you need any more info send me a p.m.

Post Thanks / Like

South Shore Resort Is A Dandy Place To Stay, Ive Only Been To
    Reelfoot One Time In March And They Were Spider Rigging
    Right In Front Of Samburg, Bumping The Stumps With Minnows.
    The Weather Was Bad And We Werent Set Up For Spiderrigging

Good Luck
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey CMC

John Brower gave you good advice -- Southshore Resort is great. It's in Samburg and they have a decent restaurant right across the street. Rick runs a first-rate operation, there.

As far as where to fish, get a good Hot Spots map. Familiarize yourself with the layout and the ditches. It's a very open lake and you need to keep an eye on the wind. It gets super-nasty (dangerous) out there when it's windy. Knowing where the ditches are gives you a safe place to hide from the wind and also find calmer sections of the lake.

Good luck and enjoy Reelfoot -- it's a great experience. My avatar is actually a picture of Reelfoot at sunset.

Take care,

EDIT: I had one of Southshore's cards at the office -- their number is (800) 742-0385. Good luck, they book up quick!!!
    Last edited by LOZcrappie; 01-09-2007 at 09:16 AM.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

You will have a great time there. Bo's Landing is where you can get any license or tackle or minners. There are several places to stay and all of them seem real nice on the lower end. Like LOZ said it is very open and no "banks" to get behind. Really flat country right around the lake and the wind loves it! The best part is very few pleasure boaters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys, I will let you know how it goes.