Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mark Twain on Saturday May 15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain on Saturday May 15

Taking the boy again. We have been up there 3 times this spring and have only managed a few short ones. I would appreciate any recommendations based on the current conditions. I only have a 14 ft boat and want to stay off the main lake. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about one of the smaller lakes like Hunnewell or Sever? Might be easier to get on some nice redear for the boy with some worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Allstar, thanks for the suggestion but we decided to learn how to catch crappie. We normally fish for bass or cats but want to learn more about crappie. The boy will typically out fish me. He is 12. We always have fun even when we don't catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a road off of J highway that goes to Pigeon roost. Ramps kind off tight for a larger boat but jons put in all the time. It's a large cut off of the main lake and there is plenty of structure in the water for fish. Don't get your hopes up too much cause the bites been really spotty. Fished there all last week and it was really tough for us.

Post Thanks / Like

from all I hear it has been an off year for typical spawning activity at twain. the bigger fish have stayed back off the banks about 10ft. some of the fish have already spawned. If I were fishing this weekend, of course I would still be looking for some spawning fish, but if I didn't find spawners pretty fast I would be looking around the mouths of the coves, fishing straight over the side of the boat with one or 2 poles, about 6-10 ft deep and casting a jig and slip float toward stick-ups or what ever cover might be around. I also would look for concentrations of fish along bluffs and channel ledges, and if I found that I would fish vertical for them.
    the hwy J ramp should be a good area if you didn't want to run around a bunch. the south fork ramp is bigger but also not too far from good fishing. the little hwy U ramp is also smaller but very close to good fishing, and is my favorite area for this time of year but parking can be an issue there. where ever you go, keep the minnows and crappie nibbles handy and don't be afraid to abandon the shallows and fish deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunt50 View Post
    There's a road off of J highway that goes to Pigeon roost. Ramps kind off tight for a larger boat but jons put in all the time. It's a large cut off of the main lake and there is plenty of structure in the water for fish. Don't get your hopes up too much cause the bites been really spotty. Fished there all last week and it was really tough for us.
    Hands down this is your best bet!!!
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone. We are eager to get on the water.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Never made it out. Was pulling boat out of the garage and heard some grinding. Spent the morning changing wheel bearings. Sure glad I wasn't on the side of the road somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad luck and good luck at the same time.
    Likes south point LIKED above post