Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Strange how many believe crappie are different than other panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange how many believe crappie are different than other panfish

Crappie are predators as are most fish in a lake. Fishing for them requires some of the same lures and presentations for most fish species, so why a category all to themselves?

I fished recently with someone that loves to fish for panfish and not too happy when a bass or pickerel takes a lure tied to 4lb test line. In six hours we caught over 100 fish of six different species using the same lure design and jig head and at one point, each caught four fish a minute. When the school was mixed, which was the case that week for the spawn in the shallows, three species could be caught in that minute.

Curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Not allot different down in my area. Most think the catfish is a scavenger. Yet studies show catfish over two pounds actively chase down and eat live prey. Not uncommon at all to catch cats on jigs or minnows. Kind of blows the scavenger theory out of the water when you see huge flathead and blue cats swimming into spawning areas and taking hand size Blue Gill.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes fishinhunter, Ferdi LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A crappie is a panfish because you can fry in up in a pan. The same is true with Bluegill, Shellcracker, Perch, White Bass etc. If they are fried in a pan then their category is Pan Fish! They have seperate names because of the genus and species of the fish. They all taste great in my skillet.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes JET4, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I Just recently fished a Timber flooded lake,going exclusively for crappie,using beetle spins with 2 1/2" plastic shad.I caught 3 species of fish,all on the same lure.Those dang bass kept taking up my crappie time,along with a few gills.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was Bass Fishing in the South, I would get upset that Big Slabs were crushing my Bass Lures....they would just mash a spinner bait, crank, and even Big Plastics. Then a light bulb went off and I realized I could catch all the fish I enjoy on one plastic lure!
    That's how I started my system of fishing swimbaits for Crappie, WB, and Walleye to eat, and Stripers, Smallies, and Largemouth for fun.
    The only difference is, during could water times in the North, I have to downsize to a 2 incher FOR CRAPPIE and move it slooooow!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

"What did you catch them on today?!!!" When asked, I sense doubt immediately.

As far as specie preference, I love whatever takes my lure (except big carp - the above taken on a 3/4 oz. Hopkins Spoon).
    Likes Ferdi LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Kind of blows the scavenger theory out of the water when you see huge flathead and blue cats swimming into spawning areas and taking hand size Blue Gill.
    I catch blue cats regularly on crankbaits.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to be factual, the crappie is a member of the Sunfish family which includes panfish and bass. Centrarchidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    USAF Retired and fishing!