Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor Problems 2002 40 hp merc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor Problems 2002 40 hp merc

Hey guys I am having some issues with my 40 hp merc (2002)...The last two times I have been out I have noticed that gas is coming out of the exhaust and the motor is running erratically when in nuetral when I first start up the engine and will die easliy.....two times ago it acted like it was flooded out....it started up right away but then died on me when I got the boat off the trailer and to the dock....finally started up but gas was coming out pretty good....took it out and ran it at a high rpm and cleaned that gas that was stuck in there out and it did fine the rest of the day.....went out yesterday and same thing pretty much.....any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like

try running some sea foam from the auto parts through it mine was running like trash the guy at the boat company told me run sea foam and after a tank running wide open and different speeds at started working better.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

go to this site and post the question in the mercuray forum .
    T M D is a goom outbord teck .
    does the bulb pumpup and git firm . if not it could be you need a good caerb cleaning . something under the float valve . i had a evinrude that wouldn`t git firm and it was the fuelpump diafram had a hole in it .

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

sounds to me like you have a float sticking in one of your carburators

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a reed is stuck or bent in the carburetor. If so you could burn o valve if not careful. At the cost of having a rebuild on the power head I would suggest you have a service mechanic look at it. $150.00 vercus $1.500

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like to me that a float is stuck open in one of the carbs. You can pull the spark plugs and see if one of them is more wet with gas than the rest. That will tell you about which carb it is.

When a float sticks open the carbs is basicly puttin gas in the motor for runnin wide open. Top motor floods out and dumps the extra fuel out. If a float sticks closed the motor doesn't get enough fuel and might idle but will not run very fast. And may not lube (2 storke) the motor enough and that is a big prolbem.

Good luck
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I really think wwhat your problem is the first thing is that it says "Mercury" on the side(Just Kidding). I also agree that it is either a reed sticking or float sticking. Should get it checked out v ery soon before you damage the motor. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above diagnosis as well. Take the advice and be pro-active instead of re-active. (Alot cheaper that way )

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a 2002 Merc. it should be fuel injected.

Sounds like you have issues with a sensor, check the recalls and factory bulletins, I seem to remember something with a fuel seal on the 40 h.p. engine.
    Moderator of Fishin Fanatics - National Fishing Forum
    http://fishinfanatics.com/forums/index.php?

Prospect Hill,N.C. LAKES, FALLS AND JORDAN
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re 2002 Merc

The Problem Is Its A Mercury.good Luck Getting It Straightened Out.really Sounds Like A Stuck Float In Carb.if And When Corrected Always Use Sea Foam In The Gas And Your Problems Will Be A Graet Deal Less.
    JERK THEM OUT BY DA ROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!