Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: terrova , and dock shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default terrova , and dock shooting

Last year I made the move and purchased a terrova 80 thrust for my old Ranger, of coarse I didn't investigate the in's and outs of the motor, I.E. the way it hangs over the boat, (bangs into my dock) and the slow reaction time of the changing directions when I'm dock shooting with a slight breeze. Has any of you tried to use the quick change bracket that Minn kota has ? My neighbor at the lake gave me his, bracket he didn't need, Im thinking of buying a second quick change bracket,( one for each) so I can quick change my Maxxum when the long troll is over for me , to give me the needed response for dock shooting. love to here you thoughts?
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I use to swap out when fishing tournaments and the sliding bracket eliminates the over hang too. The 24 volt Terrova should be much quicker and not a problem shooting docks though. Try using the traditional autopilot and set speed just enough to overcome wind speed while fishing into the wind. It's a lot less maneuvering. It's just takes getting used to, but I now bass fish and everything with mine. You also want to be sure you have strong batteries. These motors are pulling power to steer, run prop, GPS and send signal to remote sometimes all at once. So, the right size/distance wire and strong batteries are the key to optimum performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Brkt works like a charm. I've been using one for years. I've seen some boats that had their Terrova or Power Drive on one gunwale and a foot operated, cable drive motor on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

When I do use the foot control only while shooting docks the time lost when you want to quickly change directions needs to be instantaneous , with the Terrova I must wait for the motor to turn , that time is what, I just can't get used to. It's just to slow for me.
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

I use the spot anchor feature at times, the wind/current and such allows my boat to drift around the dock providing different angles/shots and then will pull me back to the original spot.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the brackets also so I could change back to my Maxum. The foot control is awful on terrova when dipping stump fields, standing trees, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappies nightmare View Post
    I got the brackets also so I could change back to my Maxum. The foot control is awful on terrova when dipping stump fields, standing trees, etc.
    Now this is where I really see a drawback to electric steer and actually prefer a hand tiller for flooded timber. Would rather a cable drive over electric only if fishing this type structure. I personally stay a good ways away from docks when shooting them at least 20 feet. I was taught by one of the best and one of his most crucial things was not disturbing the crappies security under that dock. He taught me how to play the sun and shadows to my advantage to hit key areas. Another important factor on approach was always current. Whether it be natural or artificial it really effects where the fish will be. Maybe my distance might be why it doesn't affect me shooting docks.