Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking LOZ and Truman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayaking LOZ and Truman

Anyone have any suggestions for kayak fishing LOZ and Truman? I am traveling to these two areas this week and wanting to get some lines wet, but don't want to mess with fishing the big boat by myself. For Truman, I'll be staying in Clinton so somewhere close to that would be great. For LOZ, I was thinking of going to the state park- they rent canoes and kayaks there so I figured the waters there would be hospitable for paddling. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Everharts (Clinton) and get yourself a paper map of Truman....if they have them in sections, make sure you get the "Grand River" area. Talk to Jared if he is available. Look at the map for the roads that end at the lake.....lots of small boats use these old roads to put in and a lot of them are close to really good fishing.....or at least that's what I've heard. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish LOZ in a kayak on the weekends better get in the coves and have a flag up. Saturday they (lake lice) had the water churned up and rolling pretty good in the main channels. From what I caught and reports I have heard fish are biting all over just methods of catch change. Good Luck and be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

If on LOZ state park area is good right now. Fish the banks all around the pd1 area and you should be good.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak fisher here, on Truman, launch at the end of W highway, turn south by the tornado target dealer.

Further down the lake, launch south of Tightwad.

You can comfortably launch at Bucksaw and paddle to a productive cove of Jackson, but fishing pressure has toned it down, or head up to Cedar about the same distance.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been missing my kayak crappie fix. I'll PM you my phone if you want a guide. Great thing about tuperware on Truman, it is quiet and you will kill them. Trollin motors and the boat noise disturbs the fish more than they realise.

I also fish out of a fiberglass boat and do well.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was at Everhart's yesterday and Jared told me to launch at the end of W Highway. I fought a lot of wind and tangled up a lot. No luck on the crappie, but at least I got out there.

Post Thanks / Like

6' LENGHTS OF CORD, LOOPED AT ONE END AND WIRE TYPE TREE CLAMPS ON THE OTHER. KEEP SEVERAL IN THE YAK, THEY ARE QUICK AND EASY. INSTALL CLAM LINE BINDERS ON THE INSIDE OF YOUR KAYAK, THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO TIE, JUST PASS THE CORD THROUGH THE CLAM AND IT WILL HOLD YOU STEADY.

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak on LOZ is a suicide mission. Better have the life insurance paid up!
    Thanks jeff3026 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hogster1- thank you for the suggestion!!! I went to the State Park at LOZ yesterday afternoon and had a great time. The wind lay down and because of how shallow that area is right now there was hardly any boat traffic out there.

I caught 3 small large mouth, one bluegill, one drum, and a bunch of crappie. Most of the crappie were small but I did catch about 5 or 6 keepers (if I had been keeping them), one of them a 12-13 inch white. I caught the biggest crappie on a Roadrunner with a brown/chart Muddy Water tube; everything else I caught on a jig and krinkle tube. I start with a black/chart tube and was doing okay, then I switched to a red/chart tube and really started hammering them. Kept the jig tipped with crappie nibbles. I caught almost all of the fish within 10' of the bank in 2-5' of water. Water temp was 63-65 degrees, 1-1.5 ft of clarity.

Can't think of a better way to have spent yesterday afternoon. Here's a couple pics of some of the better crappie I caught.

Name:  20150415_175728.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  44.3 KB
    Name:  20150415_180755.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  81.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast