Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Truman - 4/11/15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman - 4/11/15

After 4 long years, I was finally able to get my boat out and do some fishing. I took my future son-in-law (who hadn't ever really been crappie fishing before) down to Truman for the day on Saturday (4/11) .

We put in at Bucksaw and fished primarily in Cedar Creek. The water temp was around 58 degrees in the AM but warmed up later in the day to as high as 62 in some of the pockets. Overall, the fishing was slow or at least for what I am used to in the spring time. I'm sure part of that had to do with me and my stubbornness to fish shallow when that may not have been the best method for the day. My other excuses are that I was trying to help a new fisherman learn as well as fighting the wind with my aluminum boat. (Forum rules dictate that excuses must be included with every fishing report.)

I bought some minnows for my future son-in-law to use as I thought that might help improve his chances but didn't seem to. I only used jigs as I really don't like using minnows. Blue and white seemed to be the best although at my catch rate, I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

We caught a few in the morning just off the banks a few feet. During the middle of the day, the wind picked up we had a hard time getting any bites other than bass, carp, drum, green sunfish and turtles. (The turtle was actually snagged.) Later in the day, we started to catch some again. We didn't get on the water very early so we missed part of the morning bite. I ended up with 13 but my future son-in-law didn't fare quite as well. He did catch some fish though, including the biggest fish of the day even though it was a bass. The biggest crappie was 14.5" and we had a couple around 12" but most were in the 10"-11" range. Only 1 had with eggs which were firm.

We caught quite a few bass on crappie jigs while fishing shallow. Had I brought my bass tackle, I likely would have switched and just concentrated on that as I think we could have done pretty well.

Anyway, it was good to be back on the water for a change.

Post Thanks / Like

Great day!
    Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your back after them and recruiting a son in law to boot thanks for the post.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to get out. Sounds like it had been awhile. Got some nice fish on top of that!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Good trip it sounds like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pictures and report, sound like you had a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got out and motor ran OK. Looks like a good trip. Thanks for the report.