Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of Commission....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Out of Commission....

Blew the workhead in the Mercury Optimax 200 today.... Took the number 6 plug out and it was clearly covered in pieces of metal from inside the engine. Only 208 hours and wasn't ran hard at all. I guess they don't make things like the used to anymore. Needless to say their were a few choice words expressed and its probably a good thing no one else was around when it happened. 2nd motor in 3 years...

Post Thanks / Like

Dang really bad news sorry! I guess a person can't get insurance on something like that? I know I have insurance on my lower unit with State Farm.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know insurance only covers lower unit. Guessing it would cover motor too if you hit something with the lower unit that caused motor damage also. Kinda like a vehicle. Definitely not the way we wanted to spend our day diagnosing a motor that we knew the outcome wasn't going to be good. On the bright side we are getting good at knowing what a motor sounds like when it goes... A little too good...
    Likes DMW1960 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that's one way to look at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that dep, that sux. Hope you get back on the water soon.

Post Thanks / Like

bummer man.good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! Sorry about your serious motor illness. Hope you can get back going again.

Post Thanks / Like

that really sucks! second motor in 3 years? meaning this motor is only 3 years old? I'm not one to complain but I think I would be talking to someone at mercury and try to see if they would help you out.
    I hate to start a brand name war, but I have heard a lot of bad stories regarding merc's. I know they all make good ones and bad ones, but seems like merc is named a lot more than other brands.
    Lol, I made a good friend because I had to tow this guy and his low hour four stroke merc back to the ramp. I had to cover my ears the entire ride back, by the end of that ride he was making up new cuss words! I say bad days like that just build character in a person!
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That is no good at all. My optimax is 10 years old. Can't complain about it at all. That being said..... if I was looking for a new motor today I would take a real serious look at the Yamaha 4 stroke. I've heard good things about the Yamahas and am getting a little tired of paying such a ridiculous price for that dfi oil for my optimax.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Try to figure out what caused it. The same thing happened to my Yamaha. The mechanic I have working on it knows his stuff!!! He found water had somehow leaked into the oil tank and was injecting water with oil into the cylinders. He asked me if the boat had been full of water? I remembered a month or two before the engine failed, I was caught in a bad storm at Grenada, MS. It rained so hard, it flooded the roads in the campground. No one could get in or out. I had both bilge pumps running and pulled the drain plug as soon as I got back on the trailer. The boat still took on a lot of water. Mechanic said it probably leaked in through the vent. I turned in an insurance claim. Mechanic said he would show the water in the oil injector pump to the insurance adjuster. Insurance company said that if the damage was from flooding, they would cover it. Keeping my finger crossed now.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff
    Likes goggle-eye, DMW1960 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast