Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Setup Updated

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup Updated

Ok peps my first order finally came in I still have to get my Pyrex cups and my microwave and a few other things but things are slowly coming together hopefully sometime soon I can share some of my creations!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes snake River LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My microwave was a major issue. The first one did not have a 30 sec. button and was 800 watts and was a pain in the rear. I finally got one with a 30 sec. button @ 1000 watts and everything started heating up better. The small bumps with frequent stirring made all the difference. I also had to get some major ventilation because the fumes where giving me headaches. Your setup is looking great and I hope you enjoy making baits. Just be careful, that plastic is hot and you can't get it off of you fast enough. I hope you ordered a lot of plastisol to go with all that glitter, I believe you might have every color on the planet. LOL Good luck and there is a wealth of info and I made some new friends doing plastic on this site. A lot of the old timers don't post much but they still answer questions.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a great start. If those are the only two bottles of plastisol you bought, you might as well go ahead and order about 5 gallons worth and get it over with. I promise you will go through that plastisol very quick and you will be dissapointed you do not have more on hand. ifish is right about ventilation. I gave up making plastics altogether really because of the headaches, and because I did not have the time for them. Even when I made the plastics outside I still got headaches even wearing a mask. Good ventilation is usually sufficient for most people though. I did keep one mold that I liked the best. Good luck and cant wait to see your baits.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually have the garage door open and use a respirator. Those fumes are toxic. Observe safety rules of wearing long length shirts with long sleeves and pants, safety glasses, shoes..not flip flops, oven gloves and do not put (Forget that you left your spoon in the pyrex cup) any metal in your microwave.

Have fun
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i did not know what type of plastisol to get so i got 2 pints of the cc and the essential to see which one i like the best before i order a bunch of something i dont like

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone that goes on TackleUnderground there is a thread, where a long time maker made a mistake and got burned really bad. Can't link it from work but if you see the pics you WON'T forget!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i saw a photo of someone who got burned good and i understand how hot and dangerous it can be bc pouring lead is also that way

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    For anyone that goes on TackleUnderground there is a thread, where a long time maker made a mistake and got burned really bad. Can't link it from work but if you see the pics you WON'T forget!!!!
    This is a "DO NOT DO THREAD" here on c.com and I just hope everyone reads it.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...115410-thread/

My work area is quite simple. Here is a photo.

Name:  work.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  59.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I Buick dude....good man!

Now....you have that Bass Pro Shops hat sitting atop of what looks like some kind of voodoo mask. Do you wear that while you're cooking up secret baits?

I tend to agree with you on keeping it simple. Now, if only I could....

Post Thanks / Like

I got the mask from Africa about 25 years ago. The guide loved to tie fishing lures and wanted a bass hat so i sent him one and put one on the mask. Lol

Love my Buick!