Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok fellers, I have a question for yall.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok fellers, I have a question for yall.

I posted this on another forum and havn't got a response yet, may be some of yall can give me some input. I know that I have not been posting very often, but what good would a florida report be in here........an I'll be the first one to say the fishing hasn't started down here yet. ANYWAY, here goes
    I have a minn. riptide 80 trolling moter....24 volt. Ever since I got it, I tried to do what I thought was the best thing for charging. 1. Take the jump off one of the post and 2. charge both batteries one at a time then 3. after charging both batteries, hook the jump back up. Now, I have been totally been blown out of the water by something I saw a neighbor do.
    He also has a 24volt troll motor, but I saw him take his charger (which has the exact same plug as his trolling moter wired to it place of the +/- clips) and just plugged it in where he plugs his motor in.......
    I asked him if his charger was for 12volt systems an he said "Yea, but it charges the batteries just fine this way".
    My question is......IS THIS POSSIBLE??????? Just put a plug on your charger leads and plug it into a 24volt system and it charges it up......without damageing either batteries or the charger.....or the wireing????????????
    He said he has been doing it for years and nothing has happened. I am brand new to a 24 system so I don't know. Sure would be a lot less hassel if this really is possible.
    Anyone heard of doing this???
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

had a ranger 1 time and that's the way i charged the batterys,may have had to throw a switch on the frt pannel but dont remeber too good,last boat had a built in charger and just pluged in to 110 and forgot about it,,jmt--fuzz
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, Knew I could count on yall for answers. Just don't want to burn anything up.....like wireing, batteries, charger etc. I think the troll bats are hooked up direct without going to the panel, but do have a cutoff for the panel from the 12volt main bat. Ever seen anyone just plug their charger into the troll plugin??
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by centerdriver
    Thanks Mike, Knew I could count on yall for answers. Just don't want to burn anything up.....like wireing, batteries, charger etc. I think the troll bats are hooked up direct without going to the panel, but do have a cutoff for the panel from the 12volt main bat. Ever seen anyone just plug their charger into the troll plugin??
    Dusty
    thats how i did it, i unpluged the t/motor cable and had a plug set up on the end of my charger cable,plugged it into the recever,but you may want to check with a different source as i dont want to tell you something that will cause you problem's and $$$$---fuzz
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Mike, will wait on more responsed. ANY MORE IMPUTS OUT THERE???

Post Thanks / Like

On my dads old boat that is how we charged the batt.Never had a bit of trouble.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Ok thanks for all the input.....and from people I know I can trust. Now all I gotta do is find a plug for my riptide.
    Once again, thanks. Knew I could get good honest input from the crappieholics up there.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

That is a new one to me,sounds like it would make things a bunch simpler and if fuzzy & hogs says its ok....go for it,is everything goin ok for ya'll down there Dusty?
    For a full line of soft plastics, jig heads,
    jigging and casting rods, fluid beds and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the reason that he can get away with it is becase at that point of where the 2 tie together is where it jumps to 24 volt. My old lowe boat had something simular in the back of the boat. It brought all the wires from each battery to a plug after the plug was attatched to the other end it became 24volt. I had 2 seprate trickle chargers, if you did not unplug before plugging in the second trickle charger it would fry one of the chargers.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all again and many thanks for the imput. I will say that another bud on the florida fourm said something that pulled my head out a bit. He said that he charges his 12v battery with a 6 volt charger and has never had a problem, it just takes longer.....but by doing the slow charge, it is a better/hotter charge. I have even used the 6v setting on my charger to trickle charge my battery if i knew it was going to be a day or so before using it, so the same principal should work......good slow charge.
    Thanks for asking bugman. Things are going well down in this neck of the woods. Had a hell of a storm Christmas day. Tore up a rv/trailer park about 3 miles from us. No one SAW a tornado (and personally would have called it a wind shear), but it reall did some damage. You know how people are, they hear of a tornado warning and to take cover.....what do they do....the same thing I did.....step outside and see if you can see/hear anything. Well, no one did, so there ya go.
    Other than that, the only thing wrong right now is the fishing. The water temp is still 65-67 and needs to get to 58-60 before they start schooling up. That and with all the lakes about 3 feet low does not help either.
    Oh well, nuff of my gritching. Just glad things are going good up that way and people are catching a few.
    Come on down to the florida forum and say howdy now and then. You will be very welcome there as I am here I am sure.
    Dusty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast