Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sharpening a knife

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharpening a knife

I have a couple of knives that are getting dull. I don't have a sharpening stone and was curious as to the technique and material that you guys use to sharpen your knives. Is there a specific brand of stone or sharpening system you like best?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a resturant and sharpen our knives daily.Not the highest quality,they have a habit of disappearing.
    The little hand held plastic"V" notched one works well,3-4 swipes,then a steel works fine for us.
    An electric wheel is touchy...easy to over heat and take out the temper.

High carbon steel is the easiest to sharpen,and quickest to dull.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Crock Stix for years.They do a very good job on fillet knives and its quick.BPS used to carry them and i have also seen them on e-bay:D

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford them, DMT Stones work really well for hand sharpening. We have them here at work and they leave an edge you can shave with. I'm saving up for an electric from Cabelas sharpener. The DMT was too expensive to slip under the Wife Radar.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I never could hold a knife steady while trying to sharpen it with a stone... gave up and bought an electric sharpener from Cabelas. Has diamond cutter wheels which are supposed to reduce the risk of overheating the blade. Quick, and my steady handed stone usin' buddy says the blades are ALMOST as sharp as his.