Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I was just wondering about this and didn't want to tie up the electronics forum

Post Thanks / Like

Default I was just wondering about this and didn't want to tie up the electronics forum

I have never owned the bigger size sonars and would like to know if they show more. I know that bigger is sometimes better and more expensive is "you get what you pay for". But are sonar screens like TV screens. Do they only display so much on the screen no matter if they are big or small? As an example I have a 19" TV in one room and a 42" TV in another room the screens are bigger but I see just as much on one as the other. Now I am talking about what is displayed not the better detailed view that the bigger more expensive screen will show. Does the transducer dictate how much will be seen on the screen no matter what size screen you have on your sonar? Just questions while waiting on warmer and better weather. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3.5" DF up front and a 7" at the console. They both display the same image, but the detail is easier to make out. If I split the front screen between GPS and sonar it gets really small. ( I am getting a 5" Helix soon as BRM gets them in stock).
    Also when you zoom in it is a lot easier to make out detail on the larger screen, but I think the real advantage is when you are viewing split screens with 2 or 3 images displayed at once.
    I have my 7" on a Ram Mount and I turn it so I can see it up front and find myself turning around to look at it when I can't make out something on the 3.5 screen.

By the way, your avatar Scrat is one of my favorite characters. I went with my Grandkids and nephews to see the first Ice Age movie and I laughed more than any of the kids, mostly at that stupid squirrel and acorn.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrat .... I think the best way to describe it is --- bigger screen will show you a longer history than a smaller screen. The wider screen allows the images to stay on longer and the taller screen spreads out the depth reading.

I have a 5" screen on my Lowrance Elite 5 DSI ... and in some screenshots the fish are dots and in others they are more "fish shaped". I can split the screen side/side and it looks like this :

Name:  Imported Photos 00010.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  76.1 KB

Or I can use a single image screen and get shots like this :

Name:  Imported Photos 00030.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  64.7 KB

But, when I do use a split screen, most of the time I split the screen top/bottom ... so I get a wider, longer lasting image (longer history). I usually only do that when I have the DI & map onscreen at the same time, so I get an image that looks like this :

Name:  Imported Photos 00004.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  110.0 KB

I would think that a "bigger" unit would show the same content, but with more detail (size of the objects shown). The transducer is going to be throwing out the same kHz signal as a smaller screen unit (same power/same angle) and the screen size is just going to show a "bigger" version of that image (not "more" image). That's what I "think" ... and I reserve the right to be wrong on that, but that's what I THINK would be the case.

... cp
    Likes scrat, Stoney79, WhiteWolfTG LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks searay and crappiepappy this helped me understand a lot. Kindly like going from a 19" black and white TV from years ago to a 25" color TV and then the 42 high definition color TV that I have now. I can still see the same TV show just a lot better and more detailed picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Best description I've heard yet "longer history"!

I have an HDS 5 in one boat, a 7 and 8 in another, and a 7 and 10 in my big boat. I hat the HDS 5 simply because I run split screen and Tri screen alot. The 5 is OK for split but tri screen is useless. The 7 runs the split really good but the tri screen is okay. The 8 runs the tri screen awesome and the quad screen okay... The 10, well that is just better all the way around. Of course, now I wish I had a 12!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes scrat, WhiteWolfTG LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Best description I've heard yet "longer history"!

I have an HDS 5 in one boat, a 7 and 8 in another, and a 7 and 10 in my big boat. I hat the HDS 5 simply because I run split screen and Tri screen alot. The 5 is OK for split but tri screen is useless. The 7 runs the split really good but the tri screen is okay. The 8 runs the tri screen awesome and the quad screen okay... The 10, well that is just better all the way around. Of course, now I wish I had a 12!
    The only bad thing is you can see them but that don't make them bite. And sometimes that is very aggravating. Humm maybe dynamite
    I don't think I will be getting a bigger one for now my wife tells me my "Boy Toys" are getting too expensive

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to know youtube ax academy on fish finders. They explain everything
    Likes scrat LIKED above post