Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak anybody???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak anybody???

A couple years ago while camping at the lake a friend had two kayaks there so I gave one of a try. Loved it, very good exercise, and felt I could fish out of one of these. Thanks to the sales after Thanksgiving I bought a 9.5 foot swifty kayak for $200. at Dicks Sporting Goods and got a $20. dollar gift card. Could'nt beat that. Anybody pan fish out of kayaks? And how do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking kayak fishing

I fish from kayaks about 100 trips per year. Can't be beat for panfishing. I also catch alot of channel catfish and bass, and in the spring crappie are very easy to catch. I use sit-on top kayaks, i like them much better for fishing, than sit-ins.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of these in the Fall and Winter:

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdis...AutoID=8&Cat=3

Yaks are too unstable for me. Canoes are only a little more stable but I think I would rather have a canoe than a yak. The 816 is really stable because it is a catamaran. Only major drawback is its semi-rigid and doesn't lend itself well to longer distances rowing like a yak or canoe. I have been looking into getting a used square stern fiberglass canoe so I can mount a small (mini) outboard to cover more water than a paddle only craft.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 12-22-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes kayaks are alot of fun and great for fishing..I own a Perception sit in style...The ole arms get mighty tired and the buttocks :rolleyes: get to hurting too...I like to take mine up to New River and let the current do all the work while I fish but I have to stop once in awhile to stretch out the legs and relieve the hind-in abit.......Great views in the mountains and can't beat the peace and quiet away from all the jet skis and boats busting about on the lakes................Put a rod holder on the front and carry a small tackle box with whatever I might want to fish with........Usually plastic lizards are all you need but a variety of color from pumpkin to purple will do..Never know what color they want and have to consider water clarity too......Lots of Redeyes and Bass and most important fun with peace.........................:p

Post Thanks / Like

We do a lot of fishing and hunting from kayaks. They are very useful in shallow and clear water situations. It is amazing how stable they are and how big of fish you can manage to fight in such a small craft. Fish that spook easily like the crappie are often not frightened by the kayak. I believe it is because it looks more like a log than a boat.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of my yak more than my jon boat. I love it, plus I can fish areas inaccessable by motorized boats.

My yak is a sit-in designed for fishing. It's a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 120 Fisherman. It's also very stable, even more than my Old Town 158 canoe.
    The canoe is way too slow for me, so I only use it when I want to bring my family along. The only weakness of my yak is in whitewater. If I go over a big drop-off or large standing wave, water washes over the deck into the large open cockpit. However, this is beyond what my yak was designed for.

My yak is rigged with two rear flush mount rod holders for trolling and a scotty-mount up front. I toss on my portable fish finder and away I go.

I second Salbsrus's comment about stealth. I've snuck up on so much wildlife and fish. I'm always bumping into large gar sunning themselves on the river. Gets my heartrate up every time with the huge splash they make when i surprise them. I think it surprises me more than them. I see lots of deer, birds, otters, and fish that I'm sure I'd miss if I was in a jon or canoe.

Another bonus is when your in a yak, it functions as sort of a drag because it's so light. When I'm reeling in a large fish, it's pulling me as much as I'm pulling on it. Even the smallish fish will have a pull to them.
    Last edited by Bowfin; 12-23-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

I too fish out of a kayak. It's definitely unique. For me, it was partly out of neccessity as I was a poor college kid and it was all I could afford....but I enjoyed the freedom of fishing water that others couldn't because of size constraints.

I have turned a few heads in my kayak, as I've customized it with rod holders (I even troll) and a battery powered (AA's) depth finder.

I honestly feel like I can move around on a trolling-motor-only lake faster than guys in jon boats.

That being said, there are drawbacks....ie your legs and back start begging you to beach it and stretch them out every 3-4 hours....also the tight quarters sometimes are a pain in the neck.....treble hooks are a no-no as they tend to get caught in everything.

One of the biggest pickles I ever got myself into was hooking a 2lbs chain pickerel deep in it's throat with treble hooks and I had no gloves....try sitting in a kayak trying to unhook a fish with razor sharp teeth and 2 sets of treble hooks in his mouth!

Post Thanks / Like

If you like fishing out of a Kayak or just Kayaking check this sight out.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/portal.php
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies....It going to be a interesting experience to have a fish pull me and the boat around the lake. I am also looking forward to viewing all the wildlife that my other boat scared away.

What I will need to do is to install a pair of rod holders. Anybody got a picture of theirs? What kind of paddle do you use? Also do you pull a floating fish basket with you for them keepers?

Here is a link of the kayak I have

http://www.kayaker.com/new/products/...ational&ID=104

Post Thanks / Like

I just took and drilled 4 holes and screwed a rod holder from walmart in.

It's definitely not something I would want to keep a rod in when a big striper hits, but for transportation purposes (ie having the rod out of the way while I'm paddling), it works fine....I have it mounted at about "7pm" directly behind my left shoulder....I don't see why you couldn't mount one in front of you either, I just put mine behind me for trolling purposes.

As for keeping fish, I haven't ever done that...I'm usually strictly catch and release...not because I'm ultra-conservationist or anything, just because I hate the mess of cleaning and cooking fish LOL...

As for the paddles, I just went to Dick's Sporting Goods and bought a decent one but nothing "expensive"....Definitely don't buy the el-cheapo with the tiny paddle blades, you'll work yourself to death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast