Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Pole Fishing Methods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Pole Fishing Methods

I bought a 20 foot jig pole to use on the river to shore fish. Any suggestions on jig pole methods/ techniques. Have you ever had a pole this long? Do you cast or just lower into the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the telescoping jig poles witb no reel? If so you you sorta pendulum swing or sorta roll cast. Watch your surroundings carefully cause 20' is a high lift. Easy to miss judge and start whippin squirrels. But a 14" Crappie or big bull bluegill is a great bit of fun on em. I just got tired of boat moving a foot or two and lifting into branches. Oh and you will get some good forearm workouts fishin em.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions on how much line to put on. A lot or a few feet

Post Thanks / Like

I would start full length and cut doen as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I preceive your application is to work the shallow water in blowdowns or brush,
    reaching in under the overhead hanging tree limbs.?
    you probably have no eyes /guides on rod there your will be lifting or lowering by
    depth into water.......As "huntinslabs" says you are going to develope some strong
    muscles in forearms. under this method you will be working with line tied 2-3 ft
    from end of rod and probably no more than 4 ft off the eye of rod...
    If you are able to or have guides on rod you than can adjust amount of line out from
    reel mounted end - helping you control depth into water and somewhat help with
    lift fish out of situation. Interesting as to where you saw this in action and how fisherman was handling. A 20' rod is a lot rod to deal with in open water let alone
    working close cover

Post Thanks / Like

Much easier to work with,and handle the hook,lure or bait if the line is the same length as the pole.The pendulum cast is very good,sling shot casting works well for getting under docks and overhangs.Dip casting ( not really casting ) is difficult with long poles and long line in shallow water,and tight confines,shorten your line as much as you can,while allowing your bait to reach the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I can get a pendulum swing with a 20 footer lol. Will be interesting to see if that works. I'll probably have to just dip it mostly. Not sure I should have got a pole this long lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Have never seen a "jig pole" 20' in length.

applications in river usually require short poles - so they can be cast to bank, and
    retrieve in and around blowdowns & brush. Overhanging material is biggest problem
    when working with longer poles. Working lillypads, open brush, grasses can work
    well but again for lightness, being effective, length of pole being held with one arm
    in dipping, jigging mode is going to be hard on arms. Biggest i use is 16' when spider
    rigging- have seen 18 & 20' also used on spider riggin but in open water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnmallen2013 View Post
    Not sure I can get a pendulum swing with a 20 footer lol. Will be interesting to see if that works. I'll probably have to just dip it mostly. Not sure I should have got a pole this long lol.
    The “pendulum swing” is what works best with that type of pole.

You can buy shorter jig poles (made of graphite with a reel seat.) That might be a better match for what you’re doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest a shorter lighter graphite rod, maybe 12,14, or 16 footer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast