Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rocky fork

Post Thanks / Like

Default rocky fork

First of all hello everyone I'm new here. I just started crappie fishing last year and it was just off of the bank. I had a blast and am hooked now. I have got the itch bad to get out on the water. I was wondering when the bite starts to turn on at rocky fork. I know most of you are probably fishing now but I don't think I know enough about crappie fishing to be successful. I have a four year old that loves to go with me so I don't want to burn him out if you know what I mean. I only used minnows last year so I have no experience with jigging and plastics for crappie. I have bass fished all my life but am new to the crappie game. I would appreciate any info I can get about rocky fork or paint creek.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing you can do is learn about Crappie...good info on colors, etc, on the CJ thread...there is info on this website about water temps, etc, that Affect Crappie....this will tell you when they start gorging for the spawn, what temps are needed for the spawn, which is when they will be close to the shoreline and feeding heavy.
    Crappie also see well at night, in the summer they feed at MAINLY at dusk through early morning...water temps, oxygen content and cover are controlling factors.
    I fish for them just like Bass...I just downsize my lures...I use 2.8 to 4 inch swimbaits....you can bounce small craws off the bottom, small spinner baits, small cranks, smaller plastics....or live bait under a bobber, or a jig/etc under a bobber.
    During the daytime in the Summer, they look for shad and cooler water...such as docks, laydown trees in the water, etc.
    Learn about them first and then we can answer more of your questions.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I have been doing as much research as I can lately about them. I had such a ball catching them last year from the bank that I bought a small boat last fall for me and the boy to get out on the lake on. Hopefully I can learn as much as I can reading up and try to put it all together hear soon out on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

1st welcome to the site.
    Both Paint Creek & Rocky Fork are great Lakes for crappie both for numbers and size.
    One way to learn about different crappie fishing techniques is Utube. If you can find any videos from Russ Bailey they also are a great resource. Russ used to have a show called Midwest Crappie and it was the best teaching fishing shows I think I've ever watched. I think there is still a DVD available from Russ called something like "Crappie Fishing Anywhere Anytime", it was sponsored by B&M Pole Co.
    If it's anything like his usual work it would have to be a great crash course in learning how to fish for crappie.

Fishing with live bait is a hoot and there is nothing cooler than watching a slip-float slide under the surface. Slip floats are great as they allow to easily adjust depths and for fishing deeper water.
    Personally I'm more of a jig guy, jigs will catch fish all year long. Having a good supply of 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 oz jigs will cover most situations. Even 1/4 oz jigs have there place in some situations. For jig bodies I like tubes, stingers, twister tails and occasionally swim baits. Bobby Garland Baby Shad (or something similar) are a great bait. For colors, I like a variety of light and dark colors. Since you're new to crappie fishing a trip to any Wal-Mart will give you a decent selection to at least get you started. For tubes black/chart, red/chat & orange/chart is a good basic start.
    Having a boat adds a lot of mobility to your fishing. One good thing to have is a decent electronics and GPS. GPS will allow you to return to any spots you may find. Even a basic hand held GPS will get you back to your spots with ease. Even the most basic electronics today are better than what was available 10 years ago. The real key to electronics is to learn how your unit works and trust what it's showing you.
    Good luck in your pursuit.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching some videos on youtube. I will definitely check the ones you mentioned out. I have been looking at depth finders and GPS units. It's been about 5 years since I sold my bass boat so it's been a while since I have looked at them. I'm trying to decide what to get. I will definitely be getting some jigs. I have never used them for crappie before so thanks for the info on size and colors.

Post Thanks / Like

whirer02, I fish Rocky and paint creek both for crappie but only in cold weather. Right now people are fishing Rocky from the docks on east end over deep water through ice. Paint creek is great at campground area all winter except right now is iced over but not safe for ice fishing. I fish it all winter when not iced over and catch crappie all winter there also. I know it would be tough on a child in cold weather but if you ever get the itch both places are good and no fighting crowds.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I have heard that paint creek was good over at the camping area. Ive never actually fished paint creek before but have heard good things so I will definitely be trying it out. it's going to have to warm up just a bit before I take my son out and he would be heart broken if I went without him.