Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio River Creeks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio River Creeks

Anyone fish this weekend in the backwaters of the Ohio? I was thinking of putting in at a creek in N.KY. I was wondering if I'd have trouble with ice. Sounds like East Fork has some ice but then again, with the moving water, I would hope we wouldn't have much trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll answer my own question. I drove down to Boone's Landing in Union, KY this morning to check it out. I didn't want my dad pulling the boat all the way over for nothing.

The ramp area there has about 2-3 inches of good ice in it. You could probably walk across it, though I wouldn't. I guess I wouldn't have thought the ice to have been that thick and that this past weekend some fisherman might have broken out, but apparently not. Once you started to round the bend toward the river, it looked wide open. Getting there would be the problem.

I think we're going to try the East Fork dam ramp this afternoon. I hear that is open.

Post Thanks / Like

Both the dam ramp and the Bantam (Tate) ramps are open. I haven't been by any of the OR creeks.
    Thanks for the update.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the creeks close to me or still frozen at the moment. At least away from the river anyway. Looks like the are still open in the creek mouths.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to East Fork today. My dad and I put in at the dam and fished for about 3.5 hours.
    Skunked. First time in a while that's happened to me but I guess I was due.

We just couldn't find them. Got a few bites at the last cove we hit in about 45 feet of water, 25 feet down, but couldn't land any. The one cove where I knew some good spots was still covered in ice. I just don't fish the dam area of the lake very often.

There were others out there - but no one seemed like they were doing that good.

Post Thanks / Like

u guys r fishin ef all wrong..try 4 foot deep over 10 to 12 fow with a jigging cork and no minnows.bobby garlnds on 32 oz jighead.we wer there right before it froze and had over 200..good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone72 View Post
    u guys r fishin ef all wrong..try 4 foot deep over 10 to 12 fow with a jigging cork and no minnows.bobby garlnds on 32 oz jighead.we wer there right before it froze and had over 200..good luck
    Who you trying to kid...everyone knows ef is fished out

Post Thanks / Like

What Tbone said.

Post Thanks / Like

B/S
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><
    Likes Osker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking about hitting the backwaters of the Ohio on Thursday. However, I'm looking for some advice from those who've been fishing the Ohio longer than me... Right now, it's just under flood stage. The river is supposed to fall rapidly between now and Thursday. Thursday noon the forecast is supposed to be 42 feet approx. That's still approx. 16 feet over pool. Will the creeks be fishable or still too muddy and fast? Even if I can get out, I wonder how the bite would be with the water clarity. I realize no one has a crystal ball but just looking for some educated guesses. I'm sure I'm not the only one dying to get out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast