Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: depth finder

Post Thanks / Like

Default depth finder

I'm looking to put a new depth finder on the boat and I was wanting to get yalls opinion on a good model.I will be using it to speck fish and was wanting one with a speed readout.I'm on a limited budget trying to keep it under $300.I heard hummingbird was easier to mark fish on then lowrance but I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe there is a similar question posted on the electronics board up top. Getting some really good info posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think lowrance and $raymarine$ have everyone beat hands down in terms of settings and sensitivity.

Ill probably be getting a elite 4x hdi here shortly. Mainly due to tiny area available on my console

Post Thanks / Like

That's the same model I've been looking at seanfishy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info huntinslabs I didn't know there was electronics forum I will take a look there

Post Thanks / Like

Coworker of mine had one and loves it. I have a mark 5 currently and i need a gps/ff combo. The mark5 is a darn good budget unit which came with my boat.

As with most electronics, the first thing you need to do is get off the factory settings and dialed in where you fish.The factory settings are ok, but you open up a whole other world once you are set up properly. Currently I can tell between bait, fish, hard bottom, soft bottom, etc at a quick glance. My gps died so i need one, figure kill 2 birds with one stone in a small unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance and HB are both good units. For $300, it's going to be hard to say which unit would be best because I don't think you will finds a unit at that price that would have the sonar and GPS or Down Imaging. If Down Imaging and GPS is what you are looking for, then I'd go with a Humminbird 688 for the $$$. HB's are easier to use. Just my