Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line size

Post Thanks / Like

Default line size

I have my panfish rod rigger with 8# Power Pro braid which is 1# mono diameter.

Sittn next to guys that were pullin crappie in on every cast. They said they were using 4# test. 1/8 jig with dark curly grub in 15' water. Water temp was 48*

Depth finder was lit up with giant schools under and around the boat. I tried 1/8 jig with white curly tail as well as green 1.75" fluke. tried dropshoting and 1/12 kastmaster.

So I am thinking I nead to use a 4# mono leader next time. I cant believe in the slightly stained water it made THAT much of a difference where I could not get any bites.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Early in my fishing life I had a similar experience with a buddy who was using 4# and I had 8# test, both mono. I changed out to 4# and it didn't help. Why? 1. He was reeling about 1/3 as fast as I was so his jig was falling into the fish.
    2. When I forced myself to slow down I missed 4 out of 5 fish because I was waiting to feel a thump, when he was watching his line go slightly slack and then he set the hook.
    I had to learn to reel slowwww and watch the line like a hawk. Felt like an idiot setting the hook when I felt absolutely nothing, until I started catching fish as regularly as he did.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Redy2Fish, RMGeorge, NIMROD, love2fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those are good tips Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    Early in my fishing life I had a similar experience with a buddy who was using 4# and I had 8# test, both mono. I changed out to 4# and it didn't help. Why? 1. He was reeling about 1/3 as fast as I was so his jig was falling into the fish.
    2. When I forced myself to slow down I missed 4 out of 5 fish because I was waiting to feel a thump, when he was watching his line go slightly slack and then he set the hook.
    I had to learn to reel slowwww and watch the line like a hawk. Felt like an idiot setting the hook when I felt absolutely nothing, until I started catching fish as regularly as he did.
    Agreed.

Here's what's important in crappie fishing:

1) DEPTH
    2) SPEED

Here's what's not nearly as important as we tend to think:

line color
    line size
    line material
    brand of rod
    brand of reel
    jig color
    boat
    motor
    trailer
    trolling motor
    rod holders
    etc.
    Likes huntinslabs, NIMROD, Scubaguy5 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am visually impaired so can really watch line. Maybe a slip bobber would help me?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

All good tips.
    Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    I have my panfish rod rigger with 8# Power Pro braid which is 1# mono diameter.

Sittn next to guys that were pullin crappie in on every cast. They said they were using 4# test. 1/8 jig with dark curly grub in 15' water. Water temp was 48*

Depth finder was lit up with giant schools under and around the boat. I tried 1/8 jig with white curly tail as well as green 1.75" fluke. tried dropshoting and 1/12 kastmaster.

So I am thinking I nead to use a 4# mono leader next time. I cant believe in the slightly stained water it made THAT much of a difference where I could not get any bites.

What do you think?
    Some other possibilities :

8/1 PowerPro + 1/8oz jig = faster drop rate than their 4# mono + 1/8oz jig

Your color choices (white & green) vs their "dark" curly grub = less visible bait

IMHO ... there is a possibility that the fish were very concentrated in that spot & you just weren't getting close enough to elicit a strike.

I'm reminded of a time on Barkley Lake (Ky) when I was catching pre-spawn Slabs on a solid pink marabou Roadrunner ... and my two fishing partners were throwing (larger) white marabou Roadrunners and not catching a thing. One of them noticed a pink tube jig that was stuck on a log, and I retrieved it for him. Once he tied it on, he began catching Slabs, too. The other partner tried many other baits/colors, but did not begin to catch his share of Slabs until he purchased a pink marabou Roadrunner, the following day. In that instance, color and size of the bait was the determining factor in whether or not a fish would bite with any noticeable consistency. The three of us limited out two days in a row, on that color/size bait, when the same bait in a different color or size produced only a few fish now & then.

Won't hurt a thing to tie a 2' leader of 4# mono to your braid ... if it gives you more confidence. Many swear by this setup, while others don't think it makes much difference. I use 10/2 PowerPro hi-vis braid and tie direct to the bait ... and catch fish on it. But, I mostly use 6# hi-vis copoly (Vicious Panfish) line for jig casting purposes ... on the same bodies of water that I formerly used 4# test hi-vis mono ... and still catch fish.

... cp
    Likes love2fish LIKED above post