Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold weather requirements for minnow tanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold weather requirements for minnow tanks

hey, can y'all tell me how to keep my minnows alive? I have 125 gallon metal stock tanks with aerators, they are located outside under my metal lean-to shed protected from sun and wind. Up until this past cold spell hit I was losing less than a dozen per pound of minnows. Now I don't think they will last very long at all. I live in camden tn, on the great ky lake. My water may be old but I really think it is due to the cold weather, had ice skim around the top of my tanks, but not frozen solid. Do I need to move a tank in to the basement for winter. Can I insulate the tank. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks old hippie.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Aboard from Southwest Ms
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem recently. Ammonia build up in the water from decay is the usual culprit. Do not feed the minnows! Cleaned my tank and changed the water, treated the water for chlorine and now everything is fine. The water temp should be within 5 degrees of the water you fish or your bait will not live long when fished. Yes you can insulate your tanks or even add heaters if needed to achieve that. There is a lot more to successful bait tanks than this pm me if I can be more help.
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stock Tank Heaters Online or In Store | Tractor Supply Co.
    Several options for heaters. You could build a cheap surround out of 2x's then install insulation along with a cover along with the heater. They will survive pretty cold water. Main thing is change water like Crappie Mate said.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Michigan. Good luck with your tanks.
    Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have you join us here on CDC! I don't know much about keeping minnows. You might want to put your question on the live bait forum. Just click on the forum button and scroll down to live bait. I guarantee you that those folks will be able to answer your questions! BTW I was in Dover this fall spending a day at Fort Donelson. Love your town!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Mississippi.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Any time I have a die off it has been the water has needed to be changed
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I have seen minnows live in an old bath tub with ice on top of water. Keep water clean , oxygenated, and don't over crowd minnows. Cold usually won't kill minnows but rapid temperature change can .(example changing water) I used to have a bait shop in the mid 1970's. Glad I'm free of minnows and the headaches of keeping them these days.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Arkansas. When you get an ammonia smell and your water starts getting cloudy trouble is on the way. Cold will not hurt them. Quick temperature or PH change will get them quicker than anything. It usually takes two or three day for the shocked ones to die.
    Tell'em I'll be there.