Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choctawhatchee River -

fishwalton is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Choctawhatchee River -

It's the time of year to point a crappie finger at the FL Panhandle west of Lake Talquin....namely the Choctawhatchee River.The Choctaw is about 100 miles west of Talquin. For the past few weeks I have been getting crappie reports of 'tearing them up' from the local bait shop. Based on my own experiences I'm thinking there may be a lot of small crappie being caught. 11/12 inchers + have been scarce for me but a few have been caught. A 14.5 managed to hook itself one day last week. All the Choctaw crappie are blackcrappie.

I primarily fish the Choctawhatchee River which starts in Alabama and runs about 100 miles down through the Florida Panhandle to Choctawhatchee Bay. It's a good crappie fishery this time of year in the the colder months although crappie are caught all year round. I think maybe the local's, including myself, seem to concentrate on bream in the spring until late fall and not much attention is paid to crappie.

Yesterday was opening day for hunting season so my regular fishing partner and I did our annual thing - a squirrel and fishing trip. On the fishing part we concentrated on crappie and caught a bunch of small fish. Some only 6 or 7 inches. I figure this means there was a good spawn. I know one thing for sure, the spring and summer produced the best bream fishing we have had in many years. I hope this good fortune translates to a banner crappie winter as well.

Our sojourn yesterday was really great. Overcast all day, no wind, rather mild temps all made for a perfect day in the woods and on the water. We had to work at it to find enough half decent keepers but managed 12 crappie in the box and 7 squirrels for the stew pot. We will be at it next week again and hopefully start finding some larger fish.

FishWalton EAT - SLEEP - GO FISHING

The big one in this photo is 12 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fishwalton; 11-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang nice pile right there! Yall float huntin the squirrels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Dang nice pile right there! Yall float huntin the squirrels?

No, we were walking and still hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh i gotcha.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! What part of the river you fishing? I've been fishing around Smokehouse.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice picture, some good eatin right there
    The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to sharing a boat with you, those are nice specks. Thinking of the laydown we found last winter what a hoot that was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flslabhunter1 View Post
    Nice! What part of the river you fishing? I've been fishing around Smokehouse.

We have been fishing 7 Runs/Dead River. Most locals call Dead River, 7 Runs. I haven't been down to Smokehouse in maybe 6 weeks, great place and some good crappie down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I've put in at Dead River and fished for bream during the summer. You fishing blow-downs and are you using jigs or minnows? We caught 7 Saturday down the river from smokehouse. I don't know what the lake was called, but it was absolutely gorgeous! The fish were all 11-12 inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flslabhunter1 View Post
    Yeah. I've put in at Dead River and fished for bream during the summer. You fishing blow-downs and are you using jigs or minnows? We caught 7 Saturday down the river from smokehouse. I don't know what the lake was called, but it was absolutely gorgeous! The fish were all 11-12 inches.
    Yep, blowdowns and structure you can't see without a bottom machine. That's some nice crappie you got below Smokehouse. I have a spot down stream from SH I need to check soon. Right now I'm sort of into combined squirrel/crappie and bushy tail country seems to be pretty good further up this way. Acorns are plentiful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast