Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locating the spots on new lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Locating the spots on new lakes.

Im a rookie at crappie fishing. I've never had the time before this year to actually chase em as I was busy with racing from spring till fall and when I had time to case fish I was after smallies. Well race car is sold and new boat was bought back last winter and I've spent this year learning how to use it with multiple species. I've had about every species in the boat and learned a ton. My question though is I made my first trip to two big crappie lakes this year and obviously didnt have any "spots" to go to. I did my reasearch and knew areas but with limited time its hard to really map out specific spots to pull crappie from. What do you guys prefer for finding crappie on new water? Would you rather ride around with electronics before dropping a line. Or do you prefer to troll jigs while watching electronics and use both to locate schools or maybe a brushpile somewhere to then stop and fish. I'm looking at new things to rig my boat out with this winter and I am looking at rod holders for trolling jigs and cranks. And I'm just wondering if its a good path to go down for crappie or if I should look for another soluton and just realize its gonna take alot more riding around with just the electronics to be successful.
    Likes Rustyhooker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midcarolina View Post
    LOL I may have messed up and asked to general of a question. Just trying to get my mind right for learning to locate these critters.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your electroncs, I drive til I see fish worth fishin! Then go see if they are hungry.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 998 HD SI on the wheel and I bought a used 898 SI to put along side it at the wheel this winter. And a terrova ipilot on the front. Lowrance Elite 7 on the bow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    LOL I may have messed up and asked to general of a question. Just trying to get my mind right for learning to locate these critters.

No....... that simple reply was me being lazy......... it's the easiest way to auto subscribe to the thread so I can make sure and follow, curious to what the crappie catchers have to say...........
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing about crappie is they arebhere today, gone tomorrow. So I always search with the sonar. I use SI to locate brush and bait fish. Then I use sonar and DI to determine if Crappie are present before I drop a line. I push minnows in front 80%. If you get in an area with bait all over troll jigs behind. Try to stay on a contour at depths you are seeing bait.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty View Post
    One thing about crappie is they arebhere today, gone tomorrow. So I always search with the sonar. I use SI to locate brush and bait fish. Then I use sonar and DI to determine if Crappie are present before I drop a line. I push minnows in front 80%. If you get in an area with bait all over troll jigs behind. Try to stay on a contour at depths you are seeing bait.
    I'm glad you said that cause one of my days on the big lakes I was running along looking at the lake master chip and could see where the main break was in the lake. I saw tons of bait but could see the striper arches below. I drug through the bait a few times and could feel my jig running around the swarm of bait but never had any luck with the game fish hitting. I should of probably put more miles on that day just running that ridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping someone gives some good info on this also. Always looking for new ideals that will help me find fish. Going to Spend all day monday on pickwick lake just looking for stuff to fish. Then see if I can find a fish or 3 off each spot.
    Then when I find a lot of these spots, will be putting out about 200 PVC crappie beds on theses spots. So as you can see any help with where? What depth? And times of years to look there would help out a lot of people.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

What Midcarolina said. With a name like that, he could be my next door neighbor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast