Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better bream bait...earthworms or mealworms?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Better bream bait...earthworms or mealworms?

I live in the Southern US and grew up using earthworms and crickets for catching bream. I'm not that familiar with mealworms, but just looking at the images, they seem to be a cleaner(easier) bait for handing and hooking. Anyone have experience with both and how do they compare in the warm Southern climate for catching bream?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clay slayer View Post
    I'm not that familiar with mealworms ... they seem to be a cleaner(easier) bait for handing and hooking.
    They are. I use earthworms only as a last resort and haven't used crickets in twenty years.

Grub baits (maggots/wax worms/mealworms) are the best, IMO.
    Likes shipahoy41, rcornish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clay slayer View Post
    I live in the Southern US and grew up using earthworms and crickets for catching bream. I'm not that familiar with mealworms, but just looking at the images, they seem to be a cleaner(easier) bait for handing and hooking. Anyone have experience with both and how do they compare in the warm Southern climate for catching bream?

Thanks!
    The best thing about Mealworms is the fact that they are super easy to raise (oats and carrots) go to youtube and find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about starting an earthworm bed, but now I think I will give mealworms a try.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We always use nightcrawlers cause they are easy to find here every summer under leaves. We always catch plenty but they are nasty putting on the hook!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    We always use nightcrawlers cause they are easy to find here every summer under leaves. We always catch plenty but they are nasty putting on the hook!

HA !! you wuss

You want "nasty" .... try digging up some green worms on a river bank, then putting THEM on a hook

They'll not only slime you, but the slime is thicker and more of it than on a nightcrawler or earthworm ... and it STINKS to high heaven, too. Best have some Lava soap or lye soap handy, and a bristle brush or 100 grit sandpaper, to clean your hands after handling them

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My first choice will always be a wax worm because I can keep them in the garage refrigerator for up to six weeks. My second choice will be the red wiggler because they breed easily when fed shredded newspaper, yellow corn meal or coffee grounds and are always ready whenever I want to go fishing. Yes, I keep them in the cool garage too.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Meal worms work great and are very easy to raise yourself
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm heading to a spot after work that looks like it should hold crappie and gills. I've got a container of wax worms (rather than my preferred red worms for gills) so we'll see how I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, one hit on a jig tipped with a wax worm (smallmouth, not bream or crappie), followed by a bunch of snags and lost tackle. Rather frustrating day overall, and not much to show for it

oh well, maybe next spring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast