Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking out loud...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking out loud...

Convinced my wife to come out this morning with our daughters for quick trip. Was windy, but she had a great time and wants to start coming out more often. The Tracker PT190 was a bit tight for the four of us, which has me thinking. Ideally, the boat for the whole family would be a pontoon, but storage is the prohibiting factor there.

So now I'm thinking about a Deep V with a 115-150. Seems to be a possible solution. Will fit in the garage, can get a bigger engine, more room for more family in it, and can still do my longlining and other multispecies fishing. Most importantly, my wife will be more comfortable in it! We had a hurricane deckboat back in the day and she loved it...I think its the bass boat style she is not a fan of, too close to the water.

Going to start researching the major brands: Tracker, Alumacraft, Lowe, and Crestliner. Might be getting mine ready to list in the next month or two.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, boat shopping. So much fun but so much confusion all at once. I dont think you can go wrong with any major brand.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider is the garage door opening height.
    I have a Tracker Pro175 DeepV with a 90 Merc. My garage door has some sliding screen panels and the track does not allow the motor to come into the garage. Also with the complete windscreen, that could be another hiccup getting the boat and trailer into the garage. I am sure that you have the overall length covered, with a folding tongue.
    Likes jwilson904 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I will double check the height, but think will be alright since the talon on my current boat clears it within inches, but will definitely check the measurements again thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so in this research phase, looks like I won't be able to pull off a new deep v with a 150hp outboard, gets a bit high over the potential budget. Would like some opinions on a 115hp on a hull rated for max 150 versus a 115 on a 115 rated hull. My estimate is the latter will have better overall performance, but the initial would give me a slightly larger boat.

I'm also thinking its not as big of an issue with aluminum weight compared to a heavier glass boat.
    Last edited by Tundah; 10-07-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever ya get, max the hp. You will regret it later if you dont. Most boats are under rated to begin with in my opinion anyway. Especially the aluminum boats. True downside to the heavy 4 strokes. I bet my 40 weighs dang close to the old 70 Johnnyrudes of the day. And of course like everything else, gotta be lawyer proof.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what length of boat you are looking at buying and that will somewhat determine the size of the motor. Have you considered a flat bottom boat such as a Carolina Skiff. I would say an 18' with a 90hp would plane out real nice and could probably put a 115hp on a 20' and do just as well. I myself have a bass boat so I'm not real up on the specs of the Carolina Skiff type boats so be sure to check out the actual ratings on whatever you buy. Also a flat bottom will be a big plus during low water conditions. Anyway the flat bottom design will give you some gunwale and can be a very versatile boat. Just another option to think about.
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 115 Optimax on a Ranger angler 1760 and it will run 40 mph. It has a 4 blade prop and is great out of the hole also. My boat is rated up to a 150hp. Good luck. Finding the exact boat you want can be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the input guys. As for the skiff, that would be great for me but the purpose of this switch is to maintain my same fishability while increasing recreational opportunity. Plus the wife wants "sides" on the boat.

Seems a deep v will be the best of both worlds.

Glad to hear about your experience Earl, since that is my most likely option going new...I know I could expand my options going used but there is only one dealer I trust and that of course comes with a markup.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the tracker targa 18 deep v with a full windshield which is great on those cold winter days. It's rated for a 175. Have a 75 on it now with top speed of 35. Fast enough for me. Have not had a chop big enough to keep off the water. With the 75 it keeps the front end up enough for a dry ride. Only draw back with the windshield is the wind, works like a parachute. But then that's why I have the chains.

THE BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN IT'S RAINING AND WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING
    Likes TnT LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast