PDA

View Full Version : Minnow buying question

try'n hard
10-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I Regularly buy my minnows from two different bait shops. For a one day trip I usually ask for 3 dozen. I never count them but usually "think" I get around 4 dozen +. Picked up 3 dozen Friday and transferred them to my new bait holding cooler and guess what. I had 37 minnows and I ran out by 10 the next morning. NOT GOOD!
I got what I ordered and paid for, but didn't get as many as I usually get so who do I blame for running out? I'm not stupid and I know there are 12 in a dozen but these guys have got me used to a dozen being at least 16!
Anybody have any similar experience and how many are in a dozen at your bait shop?

brucec
10-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Never counted them!!!!!!!!!!

Billbob
10-05-2014, 05:35 PM
you got what you paid fer the extras were just that extras

RiverSlabber
10-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Ive never bought minnows (i did find a nearby source though so ill start next year). Id expect what i paid for though like others said, anything beyond that would just be a nice bonus.

feelay
10-05-2014, 05:52 PM
A dozen is a dozen. I like to have at least 150 minnows with me each trip.

huntinslabs
10-05-2014, 06:05 PM
1 shop here counts em out, another says he gets a half dozen per netfull. Dont know exactly what he considers a half dozen but I can fish 2 weekends on 2 dozen of his. I bet he gets 2 dozen a netfull. Dont buy minners much anymore though. But when I do I go there.

MEATGETTER
10-05-2014, 06:14 PM
I buy them by the pound! !! Three Dz.only baits our poles twice! !!!!

Eager Beaver
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I started going to a bait shop that I was told will load you up with minnows. First time I went there and the elderly lady counted out each dozen. I usually will buy 4 dozen which will get me a days fishing. I got up to the register to pay and told the guy there that I wouldn't be back if they was going to count them out. He looked in the bait bucket and took it and went back and filled the bucket up. He apologized and said that was his mother and she is pretty frugal. We had a good laugh and I have been buying my minnows there ever since. If they are out of minnows I will get them at the marina but they are high on a hill and it is hard for me to make it up the steps without stopping a couple of times to catch my breath. EB

Slabyanker
10-05-2014, 08:57 PM
1 shop here counts em out, another says he gets a half dozen per netfull. Dont know exactly what he considers a half dozen but I can fish 2 weekends on 2 dozen of his. I bet he gets 2 dozen a netfull. Dont buy minners much anymore though. But when I do I go there.

Got a place here just like that. Depends on who's working on how many I get. I bought 4 dozen one day. I gave a buddy near 3 dozen of them. Fished all day and still probably had 5 dozen left. The other person working there counts them out, and you get exactly what you pay for.

E-Z Poleholder
10-05-2014, 09:09 PM
I go to different places and they all have their own way of counting, depending on who does the counting.
My suggestion is to figure how many you think you will need, order some, look at them, if you think it's good enough, go with it. If not, buy more. Won't take you but a few times to be able to look at them and tell if its enough.

NIMROD
10-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Buy more and see what you get from your observation. But I quit minnows years ago . I catch all I need and no need to burn money and time try'n to keep them alive. Jigs are more economical and work fine in most applications. I can take what most spend on minnows on a weekend and fish about all year using jigs! Since I started using MEATGETTER jigs and Southern Pro plastics I have no use for live bait.

try'n hard
10-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Buy more and see what you get from your observation. But I quit minnows years ago . I catch all I need and no need to burn money and time try'n to keep them alive. Jigs are more economical and work fine in most applications. I can take what most spend on minnows on a weekend and fish about all year using jigs! Since I started using MEATGETTER jigs and Southern Pro plastics I have no use for live bait.
I would love to agree but where I fish jigs work, but not as good as minnows

clfarms1
10-05-2014, 09:58 PM
the place I get my minnows at use to have a lady that wore a shirt that said
Life is to short to count minnows.

arkcrappie
10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I like a shop that will give me a decent count. I understand business, but I don't like my minners to be handled. Give away a few minners and folks are likely to buy hooks, weights, etc from your shop. Around here minners can be bought for $5/lb. That's 10 dozen roughly of a medium sized minnow. I just go get a pound when I need it.

shuorc
10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
5 oz for $5 and not weighed too closely.
When i started to speck fish ordered 3 doz and the guy went into my bucket for the extra one that jumped in(didn't go back there).--shu

sniperei
10-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Not sure if i should give the name of the bait shop i use on martin but i always get more than i pay for.Blooms & Bait also great for info.

Rees Guide
10-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Ifn I ask for 5 dozen I should get 60 minners, if I get more that's cool. Minners are 1.35 a dozen here or 12.50 a pound.

blackfish
10-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Mr. John - next time I come across the river I'll put you on my list. 7.50 a lb. Last time I came I brought 24lbs. No prob.

Rees Guide
10-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Give me a holler, got a vat here at the house. Live on Turkey Creek feeding into the backside of Grenada lake and if I don't have any at the house I have to drive 30 minutes to get bait.

Timmy Tom
10-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Well. Some stores that I have bought from counted them out. They were in the money making business, and on the lake I used them on. But when I worked for a bait dist. One store would sell about 400 lbs a week in the spring and I was told to give them a bit more. Of course we gave all the stores a little extra. I did and I have bought from them since then and they give extra. So I buy gas and snacks from them. Bought 1/4 lb a few weeks ago and had a lot more than 1/4 lb. probably a 1/2 lb. but I have to respect the stores, because a dozen is a dozen. The minnows do die in their tanks. But I too get a little anxious about counting each minnow.

TT

river scum
10-07-2014, 03:48 AM
when they start counting out minnows its a sign the shop wont be open much longer. lol there is a shop like that around here. bad words get around fast. you dont see many cars there anymore. unfortunately this is due to the old man growing ill, and the wife and kid squeezing every penny out of the buisness. i dont think he was in it for that specific reason, you know what i mean.

always look at what you get though! also voice your opinion, too, so they know they are ruining their shop. maybe they will change maybe not. running out because you didnt look=your fault. lol

arkcrappie
10-07-2014, 06:25 AM
I like a shop that will give me a decent count. I understand business, but I don't like my minners to be handled. Give away a few minners and folks are likely to buy hooks, weights, etc from your shop. Around here minners can be bought for $5/lb. That's 10 dozen roughly of a medium sized minnow. I just go get a pound when I need it.

I need to proof read my posts! Around here minners can be bought for $15/lb or $1.89/dz. The lb is roughly 10 dozen of medium sized minnows.

Interesting to read all the different expectations of a bait shop. I hope some of the folks that own bait shops are reading all this. I think there's some good information in here.

How many of you folks buy "other" stuff in a bait shop? Jigs, hooks, sinkers, etc...?

Rees Guide
10-07-2014, 06:32 AM
I need to proof read my posts! Around here minners can be bought for $15/lb or $1.89/dz. The lb is roughly 10 dozen of medium sized minnows.

Interesting to read all the different expectations of a bait shop. I hope some of the folks that own bait shops are reading all this. I think there's some good information in here.

How many of you folks buy "other" stuff in a bait shop? Jigs, hooks, sinkers, etc...?
I for one don't buy anything else from the baitshops, they would go broke depending on my business. Heck most of the time I pick up bait I aint even going fishing rite then but in the next day or two, carry home what I pick up and put them in a vat.
I see it all the time with locals, we don't spend much but the folks that travel here do, they are who keeps our bait shops open here.

arkcrappie
10-07-2014, 06:35 AM
I wish we had a bait shop close enough that I could buy minnows and keep them in a vat. There's only one shop in our town and it's in the back of a barber shop. The guy keeps minners from March through June. Go figure.

Rees Guide
10-07-2014, 06:37 AM
I wish we had a bait shop close enough that I could buy minnows and keep them in a vat. There's only one shop in our town and it's in the back of a barber shop. The guy keeps minners from March through June. Go figure.
That's the way our Co-op here is and they don't open till 730, I am on the lake at daylite if I am going fishing so 730 don't work for me.

midcarolina
10-07-2014, 07:35 AM
I think it's like any other seasonal business.........

1) the owners know they have a certain amount of time to make the majority of their money, so they tend to watch the nickles , dimes and quarters

2) The employees generally do not have the same concerns as the owners........ they come from a different perspective ( get you out quickly with no complaints )

It would bother me if I purchased 2 dozen minnows and walked out with 4 dozen..........Thats taking money out of the owners pocket who have a hard enough time competing with the big chain stores.............

Of coarse on the other hand I really don't want to wait in line to get bait and watch the person count out each minnow either! a few freebies are good or a few short ain't gonna kill me either..............

ezgoing
10-07-2014, 01:15 PM
You guys don't know how lucky you are.

Minnows here cost $3.75 dozen for medium and the shops count them one by one. The only place that sells them by the pound is 30 miles away, $15 lb.

And the only thing I buy other than minnows is an occasional drink or snack but not on every trip so they need to make their money on minnows from me.