Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk winter gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lets talk winter gear

With the fall rapidly approaching, the realization that it's about to get COLD!!!! is on my mind more and more. So let me propose a couple questions. Number 1, I want to know what is the best footwear to help keep old feet with poor circulation warm. Something That I won't have to take out a loan to buy. Second part of question 1. Has anybody tried the Thermocell insoles? Second question, Bibbs and Jacket. What do ya'll use? Something that is reasonably warm and wind proof would be nice. I want to be better prepared this winter than I was in years past. I'm getting older and Ole superfly cant take the elements as well as he used to. So give opinions and advice, I really need to get started buying a piece hear and there cause I know I cant buy it all at once. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I cant offer much on this one. My official winter gear includes sneakers instead of crocs, sweatshirt over my t shirt and long pants. Occasionally I do have to throw on a Carhart jacket. But your always welcome to come down here and fish. Got plenty room on the lakes round here.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple pairs of boots I wear, rockys with 1600 grams of thinsulate and a 20 year old pair of LaCross Ice Kings. For clothes my bibs and jacket are Columbias, they were $400 16 years ago. The best money I've ever spent on outdoor clothes. If it's really cold I'll layer under the bibs and coat.
    Likes dkb23 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well you can go over board so be carefull. 1st good gloves and hand warmer from kmart or ? 2nd,Bibs don't need the high end on these I use Red Heads, 3rd Field Jacket with liner, 4th Mask and sunglasses, Now you don't want to sweat, that's when you get cold. for your feet good wool sock that wisk the wet away. and lastly boots I like the insulated rubber one's. and a good nice hat. I'm 74 and warm. hope that helps, don't spend a fortune on these.

Post Thanks / Like

The morning temps here in New England have been in the low 40's, with the daytime highs only in the low 60's. We've already had our first frost. I suspect we'll see a hard freeze before too much longer!

So, yeah, I dress as if I were fishing in winter from this point on. Get yourself a set of "Under-All" long johns - Cabelas has their own brand at a very reasonable price. I also wear wool shirts, a wool hat and a set of Carhart insulated coveralls on top. I've fished in situations where we had to break ice to launch, so I know this stuff works. Included in my cold weather gears is a pair of rag wool, fingerless gloves. They are warm even when wet. Amazing. And of course, I keep a pair of those cheap, chemical hand warmers in each pocket of the coveralls as well.

Also, do a google search for Sorel boot pacs, with the felt liners. These are the boots with the rubber bottoms and leather uppers. Wear these with a pair of wool boot socks and your feet will not get cold. I've worn this particular pair for over 35 years. They're still going strong. And they work. I have no idea what a pair cost today though - or even if they still make them. But I'm sure someone does. A very popular boot style.

If you are worried about falling overboard, stay off the water - period. Nothing's going to help you in that situation. Always fish with a buddy and make sure you both have cell phones. Be safe!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I generally wear my tennis shoes with those thermocells. Get a good pair of thick thermo socks and that combo will do you fine. I got a gill OS2 bib and jacket setup. Best money I ever ever spent. Lightweight, warm, and waterproof!!!

Sims has some good outfits also.

Post Thanks / Like

Layering is the key. Polypropylene socks are thin but will wick sweat away from your feet. Then add a pair of wool socks. Too many socks can make your boots fit too tight restricting circulation causing your feet to cool much faster.

I like a good Underarmour Baselayer 3 thermal shirt. (I believe Baselayer 4 is for extreme conditions). Any pair of wool or Underarmour bottoms should be good since your legs don't get as cold your upper body.

Keeping your head, ears and neck covered is extremely important as this is where you lose a lot of heat. Hot hands stuffed inside a jacket or pants pocket are fairly inexpensive and can help on those really cold days. Wool face masks can help cut the wind and keep your face warm. Armour head gear which you wear under your cap work good to keep head dry.
    I usually don't put my Underarmour on until after I have gotten to the lake and unloaded the boat. I have to drive a ways to get to the lake so I've learned wearing it while driving will have me hot by the time I get there. Remember, sweating will make much more likely to get cold.
    I learned that lesson while bowhunting for deer in the late season. By the time I climbed into my deer stand with all my clothes on, I was burning up an welcomed the cold air. Thirty minutes later, I was freezing. Key is to stay dry.
    For the upper body I use Underarmour baselayer, wool or heavy sweatshirt, and a sweatshirt with a hood, and a heavier jacket.
    I may not have all this on when I start but it will get much cooler right before dark. I usually keep the heavier jacket or sweatshirt stowed until needed. It's always better to have extra you can use if needed. I've had several trips where I took it but didn't think I needed it. Turned out, I needed every bit of it to be able to finish the day.

Wearing a life jacket at all times is especially true in winter. Also preplan how you are going to get back in the boat in case you fall in. I used to think I would just work my way to the back of the boat, step up on the back of my motor and hit the trim switch till I could crawl off the motor back into the boat. Then I read where someone else had tried it and their foot had slipped and they had cut their leg on the prop. Fortunately, someone nearby new first aid and was able to save their life.
    It's also a good idea to have some towels, change of clothes or something stowed away that you can put on till you get back to the dock. I've had a few close calls before but luckily the water wasn't nearly as cold as it is in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear long underwear, goose down long underwear and an insulated rain suit. For my feet, wool socks and a cheap pair of insulated rubber boots. I'm good for most of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I also play golf in the winter and bulky clothes and golf don't mix. I asked a friend one day why he was not cold because he appeared to only have khaki pants and a long sleeve shirt and light pullover.
    He had a pair of Patagonia Capaline underwear and he was very comfortable. I bought a set of pants and shirt and have been more than impressed with them. They fit snuggley so you don't look like the Michelin Man and you don't notice you have them on. I cannot wear the pants when I walk and play golf, they are just too warm even in 30 degree temp. On a boat they are perfect paired with jeans and if the wind is blowing I wear windproof pants and jacket, but if the sun comes out I start peeling off clothes.
    Here is a link to the website. Word of advice, you see imitations that look like these, but unless it is a brand like UnderArmour or Columbia I would stick with the Patagonia. They run about $50 for each piece.
    Patagonia Men's CapileneŽ 2 Lightweight Bottoms Long Underwear

PS These are the lighter weight ones, they run 1 to 4 with 4 being the warmest. If you only plan to wear them on the boat in cold weather you might could move up to a 3 or 4.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I've read good things about these.

Apparel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast