Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Sunfishes

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Sunfishes

Somewhere here DixieAngler (Robert) recommended this little book "The Sunfishes" by Jack Ellis. I'd like to second the recommendation for those of you who have an interest in warm water fly fishing. It's a beautifully written and extraordinarily informative. It is rather hard to find. Amazon says they have it, but waiting for weeks without it ever being shipped is an exercise in frustration. I finally found it online at a used bookstore in Philadelphia...it was their last copy. It's worth the work of finding a copy.

Post Thanks / Like

The Sunfishes is a book of warm water fly fishing. I don't recall recommending it (probably should have). I just used the book (Jack Ellis) for quotes. I don't agree with Jack on some points but I do on others. It is a good read regardless and definately worth the money spent for it. Sorry you had such a hard time finding a copy, jhook. Maybe that's because its popular :D. There are probably other good warm water fly angling authors but Dave Whitlock and Dick Stewart also have some good warm water fly fishing/fly tying books so take a look at these two authors as well.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Default I found a copy

The Sunfishes- - Since this book was mentioned here, and considering it is the start of a long winter, I found a copy and bought it . It was on abebooks.com for $5.00+ shipping of $3 something. For that price, I'll have a looksee. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great book. I read it so many times, I practically had it memorized.

I recently gave my copy away -- if only I had known!

Not sure why it's so hard to find. I see Jack's second book, "Bassin' with a Fly Rod" all the time. That's a good one too if you're into "bassin' with a fly rod"!

Post Thanks / Like

You're right Robert, "recommended" is overstated and I apologize. I believe I saw your reference to the quotes and made the jump. Thanks for references to the other writers. I'll be checking them out this winter.

Death -- the new book is everywhere. I'll get to it one day. I concentrate on bluegill and crappie (warm water) and of course trout in our tailwater streams here in Arkansas. I do hook a few bass and catfish whlile fishing for bluegill and crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhook
    You're right Robert, "recommended" is overstated and I apologize. I believe I saw your reference to the quotes and made the jump.
    No need to apologize. I should have recommended it :rolleyes:. The only reason I didn't was
    Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler
    I don't agree with Jack on some points but I do on others.
    Not really enough reason not to recommend it because it is a good read regardless of some of Jack's viewpoints :D.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"