Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rigging 16' telescoping crappiepole

Post Thanks / Like

Default rigging 16' telescoping crappiepole

Since not finding the right size slide on guides for this pole what suggestions do you have for rigging this pole? I want to use a small crappie casting reel to hold the line.I thought about gluing and wrapping guides on the jig pole making it on telescoping and I've read about spiral wrapping the line up the pole and thru the tip eye or run the line inside the pole out thru the rod tip. I've read thru the articles I found in search.Thanks for your response.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As I see it, you have a few options :

Rig it like a regular cane pole (spiral the line around the pole & tie to the tip eye, and leave 15-16 feet of line out to fish with) ... good for 15fow or less.

Wrap your own guides on the rod & add a reel of choice (taped on with elec tape). You'd have to put the guides on just at the top of each section, so the rod could be collapsed down/telescoped out ... good for any depth. You'd only want one guide per each section, less the section with the tip eye. Paper clips might be substituted for guides, and taped onto the rod sections, if you don't want to spend any more $$ on guides ... or if you just want to experiment with placement & see if the rod will still collapse/extend (before you glue/wrap any guides).

Running the line "inside" the pole probably wouldn't work. There are poles made for doing that, but I don't know how you'd fix this one to be that way.

... cp

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of old poles I did just what papy said. Bought cheap set of spinning rod guides and wrapped them on at tip of each section so it would still collapse. Did add a second guide to tip section so it won't go in as far but still made it easier to store. Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to wrap a guide. Take 2 nylon. Wire tie's to attach reel, then wrap with electrical tape. Pain in the rear but cost very little to set them up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Or you can save the aggravation and order Uncle Bucks Deluxe Telescoping Crappie Poles with guides and reel seat from Bass Pro for not much more that a plain pole without guides. Used em for many years before changing to regular long poles. Only problem I ever had was line had a tendency to stick to pole with the long guide spacing. But worked well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Line sticking problem is easy enuff to fix as well, apply some car wax and wipe it off once it dries and you are good to go.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself some of these: B'n'M Fishing - Black Widow with Guides and Handle
    Then put a some of these on: B'n'M Fishing - Buck's Mini-Reel

I run (4) of these pushing jigs and like em just fine.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 16' rod from Cabelas in their bargain Cave inexpensive and I already have 4 Bucks mini reels. I'll wrap guides on to the pole and leave it extended. Looking at those great aluminum rod holders listed n his website to mount
    on boat. Just started fishing again after 35 year absence. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

If the poles can be left extended, I have an uncle who has some that didn't have guides on them, and all he did was took a paperclip and bent the inside loop up about 1/8th of an inch, and used black electrical tape to tape them to the poles. He then put a bead of super glue on the tape seam to keep the tape for coming undone.