Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery crankbait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mystery crankbait

I was out fishing Thursday morning. No wind and no waves and happened to find a crank bait floating in a cove I sometimes fish. Did not use it Thursday, but did yesterday (Friday)
    The crank bait had a large swivel attached to it. I never use a swivel with a crank bait so that the crank bait looks as small as possible, but yesterday decided to use the bait as I had found it. I trolled with two rods and used the found crank bait on my left rod. Ended the day catching 4-2 1/2 to 3# hybrids, 8-blue cats, 6-bass from twelve inch to 3 1/2# and 10 decent crappies. Only kept the crappies and the last 4 blues I caught. One of the blues was just under 30 inches and weighed about ten pounds. In the slot so not legal and would not have kept it anyway. The 4 I kept weighed from 2 to 5#. The found bait out caught the bandit I was using 2 to 1. It was a cloudy morning and all fish were really 'on the bite', but this bait was really on fire.
    Anyway, I would attach a picture of the crank bait if I still had it, but I had a hit in about 30 feet of water just before I stopped fishing, had it on for about ten seconds and the fish make a quick change of direction run and broke my line.
    It was similar to a bandit, and the color was similar to the bandit I was using (Tennessee shad) The wobble was not quite as tight as a bandit.
    Any ideas?
    Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Sounds like one of these including the swivel.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/off-t...hinese-cranks/
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

This swivel looks almost identical to the one I found but was not nearly that large! But how about the crankbait?

Post Thanks / Like

The ones in that link are Chinese unpainted models that some of the guys buy and paint themselves. Scott V has some for sale, they look pretty good. Since you did not have a picture of the crank I was just guessing. These are the baits https://wlure.com/index.php?cPath=22...6d095b9dbb5ca8
    I think the ones he used are the C55 model, it is close to the Bandit 300 if I remember correctly.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

SeaRay's memory is good on the 55 is sized similar to the 300. The 549 is closer to the 200

Post Thanks / Like

The C55 is similar to the mystery crank bait I found. No swivel is shown. The one I found was professionally (factory) finished just like a Bandit, Wiggle Wart or any other crank and not hand painted.
    Are these crank baits like the C55 and the others finished like the photos show, or do they have to be painted?!?
    The prices are so cheap!
    Husker

Post Thanks / Like

They come painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Confused! SeaRay says they come unpainted but come with a swivel! dfar say they come painted! If they come painted their price is really good, and even better if they come with a swivel!
    Has anyone here bought any, and how do you like them and do they look good and fish good? And were they shipped as promised? The pics sure look good!
    Husker

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I ordered all came painted with spit rings attached but no swivel. Seems like it took about 3 weeks for delivery.
    I am not into painting so I did not try to find the unpainted ones. I ordered 3 different types with assorted colors and all looked good. Have not been on the water to test yet.
    The link SeaRay's post #4 shows the painted ones.
    Go for it!

The next time you cruise around the lake keep a eye out for a boat from the Carolina's ask them to see if they left it behind just to mess with ya.
    Last edited by dfar; 08-20-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have seen the pictures of the painted crankbaits on their website, that is why the price was questioned as they are so cheap....
    I went ahead and ordered 6 crankbaits ($10.96 total price including shipping) last night and it will be interesting to test them alongside the Bandit. I ordered 2 each of C55X1, C55X10 and C55X16. Will pick up some of the KVD swivels the next time we go to WallyWorld.

Will also take some pictures of them and the resulting catch assuming they get here while the crappie are still hitting
    crankbaits. They promise 10 day free delivery and seemed happy to get my small order.
    Husker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast