Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Questions for all Smithville lake Fisherman!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Questions for all Smithville lake Fisherman!

Has anybody fished at Smithville the past 2 weeks? I'm a bank fisherman only
    When will crappie move in again for another spawn
    Is it true crappie tend to bite moe and move in at night Vwhen the moon is full?
    What test line do you use? I just bought some 8lb Suffix Elite Hi Vis fishing line, what do you think?
    My dad told me October is the month where the next spawn will occur, what do you guys think?
    I'm a beginner bank fisherman trying to catch crappie so any information/advice/tips you have for me is all apreciated, Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of crappie spawning in the fall. Leastways not on Smithville. Not saying you can't catch them shallow, but....that's a tough way to do it. My guess is the next spawn will be in another 8-9 months from now.

That Suffix line is good, if you ask me. But I more often use PowerPro Hi Vis.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Joe, crappie will not likely be back on the bank at Smithville till next spring. If fishing from the bank, try the rip rap along the bridges, or locate some brush piles using the MDC website or ask Burton to show you some on a map, some you can reach by casting from the bank. Set your slip bobber at 15 feet down, casting to what you would think would be 20 fow, and go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie on Smithville will make a fake spawning run in the fall but they wont spawn again till next spring. You can catch crappie right now in 2 to 6 ft of water!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave
    Likes that1otherdude LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by got crappie View Post
    You can catch crappie right now in 2 to 6 ft of water!
    Does that mean you've actually been out fishing Dave?

Go to Burton's and get a good map. There are TONS of places you can reach from the bank. The easiest to get to aren't necessarily the best. Only difference between a bank fisherman and a boater is the boater can get to a new spot quicker if the fishing isn't great where they were.

Slip bobber and a minnow will catch crappie all year long. Your biggest problem will be finding a limit of keepers in the same spot.
    -Justin. Just a forum stalker/BS'er......
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I been fishing Smithville lately and not even a nibble, I been told all the fish moved out to the main lake where boaters can have acess to.

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy, check your messages.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MustangJimmy816 View Post
    I been fishing Smithville lately and not even a nibble, I been told all the fish moved out to the main lake where boaters can have acess to.
    Sounds like you have been talking to Burton. Now theres nothing wrong with talking to him he will tell you to fish the main lake brush piles which most will.Its had to fish up river from the shore!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave