Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Freshwater Jellyfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freshwater Jellyfish

I was fishing at Melvern last night, and my sonar was acting strange. It was showing little spots everywhere, and that doesn't happen at any other lake. I posted it on another forum and a gentleman replied that my screenshots are exactly what he sees this time of year and they belong to freshwater jelly fish. Some internet research shows that they have been sighted in Melvern in 2012. Could this be possible, and how common are they in other lakes.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

zummy,

Yes, there are freshwater jellyfish in Melvern. I first saw them in the early 1990's when I was working at the lake. I don't have any info on the current status of them at the lake though. I have not personally seen them in any other lake in Kansas but an internet search produced a list of other lakes that are said to have them (looks like we may have looked at the same website with locations and dates of sightings).

Here's an informative link from Missouri DOC. http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2000/07/missouri-jellyfish

Interesting screenshots!

Hope this helps you out a little.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Johnson View Post
    zummy,

Yes, there are freshwater jellyfish in Melvern. I first saw them in the early 1990's when I was working at the lake. I don't have any info on the current status of them at the lake though. I have not personally seen them in any other lake in Kansas but an internet search produced a list of other lakes that are said to have them (looks like we may have looked at the same website with locations and dates of sightings).

Here's an informative link from Missouri DOC. http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2000/07/missouri-jellyfish

Interesting screenshots!

Hope this helps you out a little.

Craig
    Appreciate you posting the link…we talk about cnidarians and their life cycle…will share in the classroom and use your link for support.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them before at Melvern just not lately I guess they are back. They get thick sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Not good to eat even with 'super chunk' peanut butter! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard reports of them in Marion

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I seen them at Clinton Lake.