Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just had to try this out.......

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I just had to try this out.......

I got to use my wireless gps receiver (Garmin GPS10) this past weekend. It is a Bluetooth, but will only communicate with one pocket pc at a time. I have the Kentucky Hydrographics maps loaded on my pocket pc. It was easy to navigate the lakes and easy getting to a given place on the map using the pocket pc. I was not impressed with the screen readability in direct sunlight using the pocket pc, but it lots better with the pocket pc (IPAQ) than a standard laptop. However, the picture quality of the pocket pc is no where near the quality of my Motion Computing LE1600 tablet pc with the view anywhere screen.

I marked a lot of waypoints along the drops of the Big Sandy River, then loaded these waypoints into my Garmin 276C with Fishing Hotspots maps and loaded the same waypoints into my pocket pc using the Kentucky Hydrographics maps. The Kentucky Hydrographics maps were much superior (easier to read/understand what was going on beneath the boat) when used in conjunction with the sonar. It was lots easier to navigate with the pocket pc than the 276 gps. The wireless stuff performed flawlessly.

Why bother? Well, I am just taking advantage of technology here. I will get it down to a science and improve my “catching”. I can manipulate 1000’s of waypoints and generate 100’s of routes using my PC. This should eventually simplify establishing fishing patterns especially when you only fish once a week or less. Most of us spend most of the time on the water “hunting” instead of “catching”. I plan to turn this around and do more “catching” using this technology.

Lots cheaper than “renting” a guide every week….haha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, you are a constant source of amazement. Very interesting post, as always.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

ain,t Got No Ideal What Your Talkin About--but I Bet Your Doin Good
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me Tom. I think what you're doing will help you accomplish your goal. I look forward to reading the results down the road. I'm going to research these Pocket PC's a bit more. There are some things I want to be able to do in a more mobile fashion and this just might be the answer.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

My mind may be slippin but I think when I first started hanging 'round here a couple years ago, I thought you said you didn't need no gps. That you had all your spots memorized, lol.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Will the Hydrograf maps download the contuor lines to any gps? This is the best map there is!!!!!
    I'm gonna get a new gps But would like to load there contuor on it
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Default garmin handheld gps

I got one of the garmin etrx vista with the map source this weekend gander had em on sale stores 1000 waypoints and has 24mb for downloading. I think I'll get the fishing hotspots.

Has anyone used this gps and what do you think. I want use it till after xmas so if its no good can return it.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    My mind may be slippin but I think when I first started hanging 'round here a couple years ago, I thought you said you didn't need no gps. That you had all your spots memorized, lol.
    I have slept since then...ha, but I think I said I didn't need a GPS with a map. I still don't need one (but I got one). I don't need a gps (but I got one). I can catch fish in me front yard 6 months out of the year. I sure like these gadgets though. The gadgets simplifies my memory (what's left of it). Now what were you asking???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy
    Will the Hydrograf maps download the contuor lines to any gps? This is the best map there is!!!!!
    I'm gonna get a new gps But would like to load there contuor on it
    Rowdy
    Ky Hydro Maps won't work with any gps Rowdy. That is why I have a Pocket pc, a tablet pc, and a laptop. These gps manufacturers want to sell their maps and their gps stuff.

You can run Garmin maps and Lowrance maps and Navionics on a laptop, but not a tablet or a pocket pc. I've called these manufacturers complaining about this, but they avoid the questions (hem-haw around). They might loose a little money is the truth of the issue. Gripes my grass to pay a 100 bucks for maps and only have limited use of the stuff I purchased. I am b**ching.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-29-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will these work?

Tom: The wife and I have been using these for geocacheing this past year and I hope to incorporate them into our fishing locations more, beginning this coming spring. We have a pair of the Rino's, and so far we've just used them to communicate when we were separated on the lake with our pontoon boats or float tube. But I belive the locations saved in the Rino's can be saved into cachemate on the PDA, and put into a folder for each lake, and saved either on the PDA or computor, and then stored away on CD's.
    I'd like to take more pictures of our lakes in drawdown stage with no water, get the GPS locations where the pics were taken from, and put those together in a folder in the PDA so we can choose our fishing spots better when the water is up. It will come together as the winter drawdown progresses. Ultimately, it should mean less time hunting and more time catching.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast