Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long jig rods???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long jig rods???

Hi,

I picked up two shakespeare long jig rods today...The ones you tie the line to the end of the rod eye....I fish a lot of fallen trees etc at a few lakes...Does anyone know how much line you should put on it?....I have the ten ft rod.....I have never used one but it seems like it will come in handy to drop the jig right into the cover.....Also, is it a good idea to put power pro line on it?...Or should I put regular line on it?....I would appreciate any help...

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

To add to my first post...I will be fishing in lake that is no deeper than ten ft most of the time....I will be fishing in deeper water sometimes but mostly nothing deeper than ten ft..Also, is it a good idea to mark your line with a sharpie to know what depth your at?..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

I would add enough string to where when you add your jig rig or whatever to it, it would come out to about ten foot. From there you can lift your pole a little to get it higher in the water. Remember you want your bait to be above the crappie, and most of the time you can estimate about how deep you are. Ex. if the end of your rod is 2 ft above the water you know you are about 8 ft deep.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

So, if I am usually going to fish in water no deeper than 10 ft?...Should I put about ten ft of line on the jig pole?...Or maybe more to give the crappie some play?..Also, do you think braided line is a good idea or not?..But, also I want to be able to keep the line somewhhat tight to tell if I am getting a bite or not?...Also, what about marking the line with sharpie to know the depth your in...Because sometimes it is hard to estimate how your above the water?....

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

I would put 10ft on it. The flexibility of the pole should give them enough play. Im not sure about the braided line, i dont use it. As for marking the line, that is up to you, you may be able to put a bobber stopper on it at the desired dept, i think a marker would be hard to see. And the lead head on your jig should keep your line tight for you.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jlaughlin72,

I appreciate all the info....I am going to put ten foot of line on each pole...I will try braided line on one and regular mono on the other....I guess the disadvantage of the braided line is...If you get a snag it will be hard to get the snag out...So what about a nine foot rod?...Do you go with the length of the rod basically?...That is a good idea about the bobber stop..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy,

I use those type rods a lot. If you put more line on them than the rod is long, it's very difficult to maneuver the fish on it and into the boat, without hand pulling the line.

I always tie my line to the rod and measure to the end and cut my line there.

Also, they suggest you don't tie the line just to the eye at the end of the pole, it puts too much stress on that little eye if you get a fish of any size.

As far as fishing shallower than the line you have on the rod, I use a bobber then. If you don't want to use a bobber, you can always twirl the line around the end of the pole until you have the right amount of line hanging down.

They have really given me a lot of pleasure catching fish, and are inexpensive too!

Good luck!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Laura,

What's up?...So where do you exactly tie the line to?....I am going to be using jigs...So, I will probably not use a bobber...I think that I can do what Jlaughin72 suggested...Just raise your rod up until where you think you have the right depth...Which I think will keep your line tight...I also can do what you suggested...Twirl the line around the rod if I find the crappie in shallower water?...I only will be fishing in ten foot water at max...Probably won't even go more than 8ft...Also, is a good idea to have a net near you?...Since you will be puttin a lot of pressure on the crappie mouth/lips..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 11-26-2006 at 11:45 PM.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb jcd ....

I've got, and used to use, a 10ft & 12ft fiberglass "longpole". I mostly used them at Barkley Lake, for dropping minnows/slip float into buckbrush pockets. I used 20lb Cortland Dacron Braid for the main line, and tied a home made 8lb test leader setup to the braid. I usually put around 15-20ft of braid on the poles. Starting at the tip eye end, I measured out line to equal the length of the pole (but, bare in mind, the pole will bend quite a bit .. so have a long handled net handy ) .... then I put the line thru the tip eye and half hitched it around the rod tip a couple of times ... the rest of the line was wrapped in a spiral down the rod to the handle section ... any remaining line was wrapped around the handle and taped down. I could hoist 2.75lb Crappie out of the buckbrush, and swing them in the boat. I caught, er ...hung, a 3lb Crappie, twice ... but lost it (both times) trying to swing it in the boat (thus the "tip" about having a long handled net handy :D )

PowerPro will work fine. But, as Anchorpuller & I have pointed out ... don't just tie the line to the tip eye !! If you are concerned about spooking the fish with braid, or nor being able to break it off (if hung up) ... tie on a section of 6-8lb clear mono, as a leader for your jig. You'll break the leader, rather than the braid or pole ... but, it's best to grab the braid and pull, rather than using/snatching the rod. Best have something to wrap the braid around, to pull with, too .... bare hands will slice open very easily, when used to wrap braid around and pull with

Use a permanent marker, if you wish, to mark the line in 1ft sections ... but, understand that your marks will be useless, if you lose some of your braid ... unless you mark the entire length of braid, and cut off the broken end at one of your marks, before unloosening the line wrapped around the pole (to get your original length of jigging line back) ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pappy,

Thanks for the information...Some really good tips.....I think Jlaughlin72 had a good idea with a bobber stop as depth marker...Can readjust it easily if you break your line off etc...

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 11-27-2006 at 12:33 AM.