Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: blue springs lake tough

Post Thanks / Like

Default blue springs lake tough

Man. I've been trying to fish here since I bought a house 5 min away. It just makes a lot more sense to try to fish here but its so tough.....

I've had a chance to make 5 trips but the catching is tough. Of 5 trips I caught a total of probably 7 crappie with only 1 I considered keeping at 9.5" the rest were dinks in the 6" range. Tried trees. around the main lake areas. I think the only place I haven't tried is around the marina. All different times of day and night. Even broke down and tried fishing with minnows which I rarely do.

People said when the water spills over from jacomo the fishing will be great but I went multiple days at the water discharge into bs and managed a couple cat fish and a friend caught a single white bass. Every other person I talked to has said they haven't been doing that great at this lake. Should I try long view instead? At least there I've caught bigger crappie in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have never had any luck there either, nor has anyone I've talked to. Don't know much about Longview though.

Post Thanks / Like

If you switch to longview let me know how you do. I live 5 minutes from lv and have been trying to figure it out. Caught a bunch of dink crappies and that is it.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had much luck at Blue Springs lake, I have a small boat, and couldn't handle the bigger boat traffic.

At Longview I have always done well on the east end of the damn and out in front of the rip-rap along the corner there, and dipping trees in the far south end of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Try around the no wake buoys at the mouth of the swim beach cove (with minnows).........

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to fish it some more. I've seen some nice fish caught out if there but just haven't figured it out I guess. Not really fond of fishing in front of the beach area due to traffic.

I'll give long view a try also

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dester223 View Post
    Man. I've been trying to fish here since I bought a house 5 min away. It just makes a lot more sense to try to fish here but its so tough.....
    I have the exact same problem. I also live about 5 minutes away from Blue Springs Lake but I never fish it due to all of the ski boats and wave runners as well as the less than average crappie fishing. The ski boats make my blood pressure rise to the point fishing is no fun anyway. I have not bought a permit for the last few years and don't have any plans to in the future.

Most of the crappie I have caught there have not been all that large. The best I ever did was many years ago at the end of the treeline in the cove at the marina. I have gone back there several times after that but not much luck.

My advice... make the drive to a better lake unless you have an endless amount of time to try and figure out the lake and fish around the ski boats.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried Blue Springs a few times and NOTHING. I bet I will never ever fish that overcrowded itsy bitsy Crappie holding lake again. I have really good luck with Longview and the crappie I catch are of decent size. If you make your way up to the south end of the lake the crazy boaters and nutty jet skiers don't come that far, TOO MANY TREES. Trust me they are in there.
    Catch Fish Or Die Old Trying!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I always fished the dam at Longview in the morning until the pleasure boaters showed up around 9:30-10, and then headed for the south end of the lake and fished in the trees. Very different patterns, but both locations hold fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Sounds like I need to try long view out instead of bs. Thanks for the advice. The only fishing I've done at long view is the dock fishing they offer. Mainly small crappie. I think biggest we caught there is a 10"crappie