Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Yaks and camera's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yaks and camera's

Like a lot of others on here I have watched video's of people in their yaks with camera's to film the trip. Some having audio also. My question is what are the brands of camera's and where are they buying them. The one thing I would want to add is to be able to move the camera around with a joy stick while looking at a screen to see what I am shooting.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Most of that you are seeing anymore is done by Go Pro Camera's they have an app to see what you are recording on your phone as it is happening and there is remotes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been filming my kayak fishing for quite a few years now and have always used a Nikon Cool Pix. They are reasonably inexpensive, depending on what model of Cool Pix, and they produce great quality footage. I have also been using a Sony that has a housing for underwater. I typically run two or three cameras at once in my kayak and really don't worry about being able to see what I am filming at the time. I just try to keep the cameras rolling as much as possible and then eliminate the unusable footage during editing. It is hard enough to film and fish let alone actually try to watch the footage at the same time when I am alone, which is the majority of the time. If you haven't seen any of my videos here is one in which I am using two Nikon Cool Pix and the Sony.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

slabsrus, show us the mount you use to attach the camera to the limb/stickup. I too use the Nikon Cool Pix camera, but don't have the mount.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see the mount. I would like to find one that can be articulated with a joystick and have a small screen that could be mounted beside a FF. Am I asking for to much?
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

buy cheap ones off ebay with articulating display for $50. If you drop it in water, get another one.
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Gorillapod that I have used for about 8 years now. I actually have two of them. But I also use two standard tripods as well. It all depends on the angle that I want to be filming from. When I am on the open water and not having to worry about brush, tree limbs etc. I will stand the tall tripod in the kayak behind me and film over my shoulder. I often use a short tripod in front of me, which makes it easy to swing the camera to the sides using the tripod handle. A word of caution though, when using tripods, be sure to secure them somehow to your watercraft. I speak from experience when I say they can flip over the side, like when taking a shot at a duck, and end up in the drink. Lost a camera that way once. Once!!! I think you can pick these up, or something just like them, at WalMart for less than $20.
    Name:  gorilla.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  8.2 KB
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two cheap cameras that I use and last year bought a Action Pro that is built like a Go-Pro and it works great. This year I bought a Go-Pro 3 Black but so far it has been a pain to get use to. I took a lot of video with the Go-Pro over the weekend and somehow the SD cards format got changed and I lost all the video. Like the others have said the inexpensive cameras work great and if lost you can replace them.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus View Post
    This is the Gorillapod that I have used for about 8 years now. I actually have two of them. But I also use two standard tripods as well. It all depends on the angle that I want to be filming from. When I am on the open water and not having to worry about brush, tree limbs etc. I will stand the tall tripod in the kayak behind me and film over my shoulder. I often use a short tripod in front of me, which makes it easy to swing the camera to the sides using the tripod handle. A word of caution though, when using tripods, be sure to secure them somehow to your watercraft. I speak from experience when I say they can flip over the side, like when taking a shot at a duck, and end up in the drink. Lost a camera that way once. Once!!! I think you can pick these up, or something just like them, at WalMart for less than $20.
    Name:  gorilla.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  8.2 KB
    I have seen those at Wal-Mart and wondered about them. Thanks for solving a problem.
    They work and I appreciate the quality videos you post.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"