Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lower Units on Outboards

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lower Units on Outboards

I was at a tournament the other day and I heard some people talking about having trouble with their lower units. The talk was that the manufactures have determined that motor toters might be the problem. Some way it was causing a strain on the lower unit thus making things not align correctly and causing failure. Even some boat dealers have recommended not using them.

Has anyone else heard anything like this??

Post Thanks / Like

Speedy;; I know that not using one, own a heavy engine will put a strain on your transit, thats a lot of weight bouncing around. I've been using one on my boat for years and have'nt had any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using one on my 78 bass boat for 10 years and i do believe the guy that had it before me had been using one on it for several years. its only a 85 hp evenrude and there has not been any lower unit problems that I know of.It sure takes the strain off the transom. sounds like to me some one didn't have the engine all the way down and strapped wright or on some extremly rough roads.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used one, so when I heard this I thought it might be worth checking into. That is a lot of strain on the transom without it. Okay I'll just keep my ears open..

Post Thanks / Like

First I heard of it. I doubt that they can cause lower unit problems. Regardless I would rather fix the lower unit than have to replace the transom in my boat.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of different opinions on them. The shock from the trailer is transferred to the motor...and such. And truthflly what protects your transom from shock in rough water? Sometimes I use mine sometimes I just use the factory bracket if I ain't going far.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default lower unit

I have a Evinrude 90 hr (bought it new in 88). Never did feel comfortable with the factory setup so I have been using a totor from the git go and have had no problems.

My take....they are looking for a way to shed responsiblity for a lower unit problem. Too many people out there using totors and not having problems with their lower end units.

regards,

drifter
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine all the time. I can't see how they would mess up the lower unit.
    Bill