Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap but safe way to get on the water in mid-OK??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap but safe way to get on the water in mid-OK??

I'm currently limited to about $2000 to get on the water. The lakes here get a fair amount of wind, but there are some sheltered areas worth fishing.

What small craft would you used to get at least a couple of miles of range not too far offshore?

12' jon
    14' jon
    12' v-hull
    14' v-hull
    beat up 30 year old bass boat
    beat up trihull
    Fishing yak - which do you like?
    2-man plastic pontoon- which do you like?

Probably electric or 5-hp gas motor to start if I want a trailer (I do) for the boats.

If you happen to live in OK, feel free to shoot me your ad, but this is more for advice before purchase

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

2 miles(any where) ? 14 ft. at least . jmo.
    Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 last Fall and couldn't be happier. It has a LOT of storage room, including a center hatch to stow your rods in if need be. It's really stable as well; I've never rolled it other than intentionally so I could learn to re-enter. I have a link to it farther down.

If you decide to go the kayak route make sure you get something longer (probably at least 13') since you're wanting to cover some distance- the longer it is, the faster it will be. I don't know what kind of speeds I'm getting out of mine, but when I'm in calm water and really put some effort in, I can get moving pretty quick in that thing. Normal paddling effort is simple and still a good pace. The downside to a longer kayak is you lose maneuverability, but, honestly, I have no problems moving mine around.

Some of the reasons I went with a kayak over a boat: little-to-no maintenance, no licensing (here anyway), no motor to feed (gas $$), no trailer to buy and store, easy to launch and can launch from pretty much anywhere, cheaper (more than likely, anyway) to buy, easier to store at home, and good exercise. There are probably many more pros to a kayak as well.

Some cons would be: you'll get wet, can't store/carry as much as a boat (but you can get quite a bit in them still), slower than a boat, you're by yourself unless you have paddling buddies or buy a tandem yak, you'll have to load/unload it by yourself most likely. On the topic of loading it, the larger kayaks will certainly be heavier. Make sure you look at the weights at whichever kayak you're interested in IF you decide to go this route. The Trident lists at 60 lb, but it will be heavier than that with some stuff attached. I'm able to get mine loaded and unloaded from the roof of my truck by myself pretty easily.

Like OK, Kansas gets a hefty amount of wind. I've been in some rather large waves and it did just fine, as long as you stay pointed into the waves. Being on a kayak is great as you can get back into areas that boats often can't reach. I like to sit "side saddle" on mine and have my feet in the water. Makes those warm Summer days nice!

Here's a link to the Trident 13 @ the place I bought mine from: Austin City Kayak http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ayak-2014.html

You'll see a link that allows you to get a package deal, which is what I did. I really like the PFD that comes with the package; it's comfortable and has some good pouches on it. Another nice thing about Austin Kayak is that they have free shipping on their stuff. With $2000 to spend you could get into a really nice kayak and still have plenty left over for some accessories, like a fish finder, anchor, etc.

Likes BoarBuster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Two miles is a pretty easy trip in a kayak just about anywhere. But, even if you are not far off shore, the wind can beat the heck out of you if you are on the wrong side of the lake, no matter how far off shore you are. I personally would choose the kayak option as well, but that could be because it's what I do. Not much of one for using motor boats, though I know they do have their place and certain advantages. For me the ease of loading and unloading a kayak is great. No fuel cost in a kayak. Great exercise. And with the kayak that is right for you, it will do just about anything you need it to do as long as you always keep in mind that you are in a kayak and there are some limitations. Good luck with your choice.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

these are about $1200 for a good v hull much better in the wind then a flat bottom boat if you fish rivers at all the v-bottom will handle better in current if anchored up in front. now if fishing shallow areas go with a jon like alumacraft i think they run about $800 bucks for a 1436 jon boat. will handle about 600 pounds of weight but are shallow side heights just don't cut it in wind and would not take one on the great lakes. cause you can get 4 foot rollers real easily here in the wind and it will swamp the boat real easily. any ways here is a link to the deep v by smokercraft there is a store in Tulsa, o.k. with a link to smokercraft by the way smoker craft has one of the best warranties in the business life time +6 to be exact. same with alumacraft has one of the better warranties but if the wind and waves are that bad don't get a jon there for calmer lake that are like 1200 sq. acres max. any ways see links

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/...ts/canadian/14

http://www.tulsaboatsales.com/

http://www.alumacraft.com/boats/rive...pe=3&layout=31

another good brand.

http://www.loweboats.com/2014/utility-boats/A1457/
    Last edited by jigolo; 05-26-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

also don't forget the site sponsor g3 that makes a awesome boat here is a link to their web site...

http://www.g3boats.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this bad boy. If I could talk the wife into a 2nd boat, this is what I would get:
    http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ayak-2014.html
    "My other car is a plastic canoe"

Post Thanks / Like

Any of those listed will work for what you want to do, try them all out, especially some different yaks, look at utube, and go for a test paddle if you think you want a yak. A test paddle/ride will give you some great feedback on whether a yak is for you or not. Some seats are more comfy than others, I prefer Wilderness Systems yaks for their seats, but that is for me, try 'em all, most stores will let you sit in the seat/yak at the store, so that can eliminate some real quick if the seat is not right for you. GL in your search.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

here is one i like but to bad i out weight it's weight capacity. by the way the link is to a Oklahoma retailer. reason for the o.k. link you can go to one of their demo days and try it out if it is a yak your after.

http://www.hook1oklahoma.com/#!produ...for-best-price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigolo View Post
    here is one i like but to bad i out weight it's weight capacity. by the way the link is to a Oklahoma retailer. reason for the o.k. link you can go to one of their demo days and try it out if it is a yak your after.

http://www.hook1oklahoma.com/#!produ...for-best-price
    Says it has a 475 lb capacity. You might take 30 lb of gear or so on an average day...you weigh 445 lb? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) If that's the case, I'd definitely go for a boat. Perhaps you were looking at kg instead of lb​??

Also, 11.5' may be a tad slower for the distances you're looking to cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast