Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain 5-5-14

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain 5-5-14

Only the second time on the lake. We got to the lake early but had some boat trouble. Spoke to a few guys at the ramp and they claimed that the crappie were in three feet of water spawning. Once we finally got into the water the temp was in the mid 50's. That didn't seem like bedding fish temps to me. We started shallow and fished that stuff for about an hour with only one bass to show. We moved to some steeper banks and immediately started catching crappie. They seemed to be staged in deeper water ready to move up. We ended up both limiting out in about a two hour time span. We probably ended up catching about 40+ fish but tossed back the smaller fish. We were throwing some paddle tail grubs in purple and chartreuse on a 1/16oz jig head. Casting to the bank and letting it fall with the contour and they would smack it. Caught a few on minnows but not many. kept two limits of 9.5 to 12 inch fish. At the fish cleaning station it seemed everybody was having luck. Get out there and get some. Most all the fish we caught were males with three females mixed in.
    Likes goggle-eye LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it Bittle and good for you for figuring it out. I have no doubt that there are some pockets of fish in the shallows at MTL but water temp alone doesn't dictate the "dash to the bank" as everyone hopes for. The method you used is what we employ 99% of the time...... Headed over Monday to the cabin for a full week or R & R (hopefully) so if you're around, holler.

Where'd ya splash in at if ya don't mind me asking? My cabin is 5 minutes from Route U ramp (hence the name).

U

Post Thanks / Like

congrats, Bittle! sounds like you did much better than I did. we struggled for most of the day, we did everything from beating the banks to throwing jigs to cover along the banks to rigging even tried trolling some shallow running cranks for an hour. ended up with 17 between my wife and I and had to work my butt off for those. on the weekend of the 17th of this month, we're having a small gathering at the state park. if your around, come on over and have a laugh or two...

Post Thanks / Like

We put in near the dam and I'm not familiar with the lake but from the put in we headed to the right under the bridge. Never left the cove we started in. The way i perceived the crappie on the lake is that they are headed to the bank and some probably are on the beds later in the day when the water warms. The majority are not there yet. Find a spawning pocket and then the nearest deep water. We found more fish near laydowns in shallower water but still about 10-15 feet down. The biggest fish was caught in 15 feet dragging a minnow. I live in St. Louis and don't have a boat so I don't get to fish that lake much. My parents have a boat and I fish mainly on Table Rock Lake. I wold love to fish it more, but until I get a boat it will be limited to going with friends.
    Likes goggle-eye, south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a fish cleaning station at the Mark Twain State Park access?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, congrats

Post Thanks / Like

I know of fish cleaning stations at Indian Creek ramp, and Spauldingand another one- may be Ray Behrens where it sounds like Bittle put in. Probably fished lower end of Lick Creek. Dry Fork is a good spot for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, wish I could get down there but looks like it won't be till camp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
    Is there a fish cleaning station at the Mark Twain State Park access?
    at the campground's private access access, yes there is. there is also a cleaning station at the 107 access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast