Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Something everyone should know.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Something everyone should know.

Subject: What Now - STROKE Recognition Advice

Some SMILE - TALK - RAISE your arms stroke recognition advice for those who may not be aware.

Note the (new?) "Stick out your tongue" advice at the end.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.. S.T.R.

A friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously. Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm , Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !! and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Good sound advice. However, a stroke can affect variable neurological functions. These can range from trouble speaking to vision problems. The good thing about a stroke is it's acuteness. If someone is around, you can pick up on "something not right". With strokes (even if only suspected), it is best to get medical attention immediately. Time is of the essence in these situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Default There are other signs

Those things are probably good advice, but watch your blood pressure!! The most important thing you can do is be aware of your loved ones at all times.My first and departed wife, had a slight stroke, when she fell, and I had her admitted to a hospital, the comedy of errors began. I told them about what I thought,and why.I was ignored.Two days later, in the hospital she had a massive stroke, was in a coma for 3 weeks.There was a new drug on the market then, if used right away, it would have sabved her, but what did I know. She was copletely paralized on the left side.And it got worse. But medical incompatence played a big part. And that incompatence exists today in other fields of medical practise.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread just reminded me to take my blood pressure pill.
    Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

you know I need to go take mine as well...thanks
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not as easy to remember but the info is consistent across the Amer. Heart Association, American Stroke Association the stroke center.

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one
    side of the body
    Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
    Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
    Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
    Sudden, severe headache with no known cause