HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go to crappie jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go to crappie jig

Always been a minnow guy and have used a little bit of jigs but not as much as I want. Going to work on getting better at jig fishing this year. So my question to you jig fisherman is. What's your go to bait? Seems like most people have a favorite color, favorite style, and favorite way to fish it. Whether that is tight lining or cast and retrieve. Trying to put together a good selection of jigs for the year. Figured what better way then to take a bunch of people's favorite jig and putting them into one tackle box.
    Thanks 10TomCrappieMan thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat a 1/16 oz. ball head jig and a selection of plastics on which to dress it. I use to be an avid fan of 2" curly tail grubs on the back side, but lately I rely more & more on Bobby Garland's plastics....especially the 2" baby shads. We mainly cast for crappie & yellows here, but drifting works great sometimes as well. We are not allowed to spider rig here though.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Second the Bobby Garland Baby Shad series especially the Lights Out (black/Chartreuse). I use with a 1/8 oz chartreuse head and jig slowly around structure. I also spider rig four to eight poles each with a different color or homemade jig. This way I can find out what they like that day. 1/8 helps with trolling and a bit of wind.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Any jig will work. Depth and speed are what's important.

Gimme the wrong jig in the right place, anytime.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my jigheads custom made by one of the members of this site : Grousefly. He makes 1/32 & 1/16oz ballhead jigs with brush style & Y guard weedguards & #2 Aberdeen hooks for me, which I use for all my casting & jigging purposes.
    I'll tip those jigheads with any number of commercially available plastic bodies ... Southern Pro, CrappiePro, Bobby Garland, etc. And I also have many custom made plastics from some of our members ... you can see their creations on the Jig & Lure Making Forum, under the DIY Plastics sub-forum.
    For "my" trolling purposes, I'll usually have a Roadrunner tied on ... or even a custom made version, from our lure making members. I also cast with these baits.

Good luck with your choices !! Oh, and you're gonna need a bigger tackle box, and probably a bigger boat, if you want a sampling of all the "favorites" of the members of this site !

... cp
    Likes bdunn3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your choices !! Oh, and you're gonna need a bigger tackle box, and probably a bigger boat, if you want a sampling of all the "favorites" of the members of this site ! (quote CrappiePappy)

HA my wife told me I could open my own bait and tackle shop to get rid of some of it!!!
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

black and chart tube fished under bobber or a black chart road runner

Post Thanks / Like

My go to jigs are the Kalin's 2" Tripple Threat Grubs of various colors fished with an without a bobber depending on the situation.
    Likes Clear Solution LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

white skinnie jig on the order of bgbs,but I make my own and mostly use 1/32 and cast or shoot docks or jig
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Any jig will work. Depth and speed are what's important.
    I have to agree with deathb4disco! I also like to tie my own stuff. 1/64 white marabou jigs are pretty hard to beat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast