Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Table Rock Lake 4-11 Thru 4-19

Post Thanks / Like

Default Table Rock Lake 4-11 Thru 4-19

Here was my week in review.

Friday 4-11 left St. Louis and headed to my parents near Table Rock for my yearly fishing pilgrimage. Unloaded the truck and my dad and I put in at Flat Creek to see if there was an afternoon bite. Started by fishing the flat just downstream of the bridge and caught a few small male white bass. Moved to the bluff and started catching the occasional crappie. They were probably ten feet deep and you needed to reel pretty slow to get them to bite. We threw swimming minnows on 1/8 oz heads. Ended at dark with 12 keeper crappie and three small male white bass.

Name:  Fri Night.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  35.1 KB

Saturday morning we put in again at Flat Creek and decided to try the same type of fishing. Caught fish again along the bluffs but they were scattered here and there. My dad claims that I front boated him because we ended after lunch with 19 crappie and one small white bass. 15 of the crappie were mine and he only caught 4 keepers. We did throw several small fish back. We also tried some minnow fishing over a few brush piles and caught fish, but mainly small ones.

Name:  sat morn.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  63.3 KB

Saturday night we decided to head up the James River to attempt to catch some white bass. I had the hopes of catching two limits in one day. We fished along with tons of others. We didn't really start catching many fish until right at dark or just after. We threw purple swimming minnows on 1/8 oz heads. My dad returned the favor as he back boated me. He ended with his limit of nice big sows and I managed 10 before our stomachs told us to head home.

Name:  sat night 2.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  38.9 KBName:  sat night 1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  57.9 KB

Sunday came and so did the rain and cold temps. I should have still fished but decided it was a good day for some family time.

Monday was cold and I sat around most of the day and tried to decide what to do. I finally decided to head back to the James River with my fly rod to see if the white bass were still there. I walked above Taylor Shoals and crossed the river. I started fishing clousers in chartreuse and white and grey and white. The fishing was not fast and furious by any means. I caught mostly males before dark. After dark I walked down stream and threw the purple swimming minnow for awhile. Only caught three on it before giving up. Ended the night with 11 total fish only one female.

Name:  mon night.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  38.3 KB

Tuesday I decided to head back in search of crappie. I put in a Bridgeport and fell into a pattern. I began fishing transition banks from bluffs to spawning flats. Ended with a limit of crappie by dinner time. Again the fish were not fast and furious or stacked in one spot. But they bit hard when they wanted it. I again fished the same 1/8 oz grey swimming minnow and occasionally threw a minnow under a bobber. I did throw quite a few short fish back.

Name:  tues morn2.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  52.3 KBName:  tues morn.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  74.4 KBName:  tues morn 4.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  55.8 KBName:  tues morn 3.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  45.0 KB

Wednesday was a bone head day of bad decisions. Started early with my brother who wanted to try white bass fishing. We ran up the James River where we had been catching them in the evenings. The water was gin clear. You could see shad, bass everything including the occasional white bass. However, so could they. My brother caught one small spotted bass before we gave up and left. He had some chores to do so I decided to try something else. I ran to Cape Fair and put in there. I ran downstream in gail force winds and fished a spawning pocket that has been good to me in the past. First thing i noticed was the algae bloom and then the water temp was about four to five degrees cooler. I fished for several hours in the wind before running back upstream. I didn't have so much as a nibble by anything. I ran into the back of the cove where Cape Fair boat dock is located. The wind was blocked and the water temp was 57. I found a MDC brush pile in the back and caught two crappie out of it. One small spotted bass fell to my swimming minnow before giving up and cursing the wind. I got home and my dad wanted to try the night bite for white bass again. We ran back upstream to where we had caught fish before the front moved in. We fished for a couple hours catching only two big females. Let them swim and headed home. I regret my decisions this day because looking back I know i could have caught crappie fishing like I had been. I was in search of bigger crappie and my greed bit me. But you never know unless you go.

Thursday I wasn't so stupid. I put in at Bridgeport again and fished till about 1:30 before returning home with my limit of crappie. I ended up actually with 17 keepers in the livewell and a recount allowed me to flip a couple out before i headed to the take out. This day was a little different however. I started fishing right at the ramp as I have been catching some crappie on the rock wall all week. Caught one keeper there before wanting to move. There were so many fisherman on Thursday I couldn't fish the banks I wanted to. So i tried a new transition and immediately got into fish. On this bank i found a spot that I ended up catching ten or eleven keepers and several short fish. It was the first spot that I had found fish stacked up other than a few brushpiles that i know. The brush piles just weren't producing the keepers for me.

Name:  thurs morn.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  95.6 KBName:  thurs morn 2.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  50.0 KB

Thursday afternoon I took my two year old fishing for the first time. We put in at Bridgeport and after the fuss of putting on his life jacket and getting him in the boat he was finally entertained enough to quit crying. I took him to a small cove and cast his pole with a worn near some brush. First cast he caught his first bluegill and said," I caught a big one dude!" After releasing the bluegill he found the minnow bucket and proceeded to release about 3 or 4 dozen minnows into the lake one at a time. He loved every minute of it and I couldn't have been happier.

Friday, my dad and I hit the water for a few hours really early. Hit the ramp at daylight and fished the transition bank from the day before. In two hours we caught 10 keepers before returning home for some Silver Dollar City Fun. We did find fish early a bit deeper on this bank and actually dragging a minnow about 10 feet deep caught most of our fish.

Name:  fri morn.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  63.5 KB

Saturday morning we put back in a Bridgeport and fought the crowds for 12 keepers before giving up. My dad did catch a small walleye on a minnow near Bridgeport. And we did start to see more females in our keepers towards the end of the week. I think this week they should hit the bank running and would like to be there for it. However work calls so back to the real world i go.

Name:  2 sat morn.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  73.2 KB
    Likes oldjack25, sacriverjim LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

well thank you for the great report i was down and put in at flat creek on good fir and fished from about 10 am till 390 and caught lots of short crappie down on the james and just two keepers so i would say you had a great week and just hope they move in to the banks soon and if each boat on the water caught two keepers that there would be tons of fish a day took out boats on top of boats .any way glade you and your dad got time to fish just wish mine was still here to go with me .

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report and pictures. Looks like you had a great week of fishing and family fun. Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

A great week........sounds like a vacation to remember. Congrats!
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sounds like a great getaway with the ol man! I bet them whites were a blast
    will fish for food

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, nice pics

Post Thanks / Like

That was a very detailed report. Very much appreciate you taking the time to write this and post pictures. Great job!