Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock Shooters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooters

For those who shoot docks what size rod are you using? Some videos I have seen on YouTube have some using short rods while others use long rods. What are the benefits of one over the other? Any suggestions or advice from those who fish this way.

I went last Saturday with a fellow because I want to learn how to shoot docks and fish for crappie. He was using 5' one piece rods which seemed to work even though I didn't catch anything and my jig never really landed where I hoped for.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using 5.6 , I like that length, I can put the jig any where I want it,Takes a lot of practice , I been doing it for 5 years or more.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some replies I made to this question : (see all my posted replies in these threads)

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...Tecnique/page2

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...-Dock-shooting

Here's the article I wrote about a method I often use around docks, especially after shooting a jig has done all the damage I think it can do : http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I uses a 5ft one piece. Different rod's shoot different to

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Different rod's shoot different too
    You better believe they do !! That's why I'm currently using 5'6" & 6'6" fast action rods, rather than the ones that bend like a C (parabolic bend). My rods "shoot" the jig, whereas the parabolic bend rods seem to "lob" the jig. I have to be a touch quicker with my line release timing, with the fast action tip rods, than with the more limber ones ... but, I get more accuracy & distance. I also get more solid hooksets, even at a distance.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

5'-6" Wally Marshall Signature Series rods w/fast tips are my preference along w/4# Mr. Crappie hi-viz line. I've got 4 of them(5'-6") for shooting and a 6'6" for casting. They won't break the bank and I have had good service out of them paired with Shimano Sahara 1000FE reels. Be sure and read CrappiePappy's threads. When I was getting started with shooting like you are, his advice helped out a lot and straightened out my learning curve. He also explains things very well. To me it seems that it mostly comes down to and individual's preference and their style of shooting. One variable I've found is when fishing close to docks/piers or confined areas shorter rods tend to work out better and longer rods seem to have their places out in front of piers and in open areas. It will take some experimenting with different lengths and styles of rods to find what you as an individual are comfortable with. The main thing is to practice a lot! You will be surprised how accurate you can become and what small places you can shoot those little jigs into with practice. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Jig'n4Crappie; 04-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    "A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him"
    --John Wayne