Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bird Down!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Bird Down!!

Got this old boy Monday morning 20 pounds 11+ on the main beard 1inch spurs. Never did answer my call just came struttin on out in the field like he owned the place!

Thanks Hunter1314 for the advice. I have to admit I was intimidated by all this new land I have to hunt but it turns out birds in sussex fall for the same tricks those new kent birds did back when I was a younger man!

Name:  brd.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  56.5 KBName:  brdtp.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  60.7 KBName:  spr.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  68.3 KBName:  turkey.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  67.7 KB

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I despise store bought turkey but that is some good eatin there. Well after it is cooked of course.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

NICE!

Last big spring I got was on Continental Can (called that back then) land in Sussex. Last spring hunt I had with my dad.

19lb - 11" beard - 3/4" spurs

1 hour calling it down off a ridge. I was in one holler, dad was in the other. The Tom spent a solid hour strutting the ridge line gobbling to beat the band then he shut up cold. I was backed up into a Holly tree. heard cracking twigs and leaves... figured it was my dad coming to see what happened to the bird. Spotted him (the bird) about 15 yrs from me coming into the little clearing I was covering. Saw the blue on the head first. I froze (standing up). He came in to the clearing and started drumming and dusting all puffed up. He fanned tail, flared wings and turned in a circle strutting. shot him at 8 paces (stepped it off) with a Jennings Forked Lightning set at 50 lbs. Pinned him where he stood. Talk about shaking (me not the bird).

Post Thanks / Like

looking at that pic of the measurement of the spurs... he's still a youngster ... look at the shorter tail feathers to the sides of the center of the tail fan..... mature Tom's tail feathers will fan evenly.

Imagine what a monster hes would have been in a few years. YOWSAH!

Post Thanks / Like

ok I am stupid. (not a hunter) whats with the measurements. All I can see is a lot of work but some good eats. I have shot ring necks when I lived up north with my wifes uncle. Lot of work cleaning them small birds. But they sure did taste good. Thats why I fish, easy clean, easy cook. But I will say that is a good lookin bird for sure. Nice day for you.
    dave
    in currituck

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe 50 View Post
    ok I am stupid. (not a hunter) whats with the measurements. All I can see is a lot of work but some good eats. I have shot ring necks when I lived up north with my wifes uncle. Lot of work cleaning them small birds. But they sure did taste good. Thats why I fish, easy clean, easy cook. But I will say that is a good lookin bird for sure. Nice day for you.
    That brings back memories Dave. When I was a kid I have shot Chinese Ring Necks in our front yard with a single shot 22. I was told people came from all over the states to hunt them in that area. (NW Ohio). Now days there are no pheasants but lots of big deer of which there were none when I lived there in the 40's and 50's.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Actually turkey is really quick and easy to clean. Much faster than a deer.
    Likes BuckeyeKdog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishman78 View Post
    Got this old boy Monday morning 20 pounds 11+ on the main beard 1inch spurs. Never did answer my call just came struttin on out in the field like he owned the place!

Thanks Hunter1314 for the advice. I have to admit I was intimidated by all this new land I have to hunt but it turns out birds in sussex fall for the same tricks those new kent birds did back when I was a younger man!

Name:  brd.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  56.5 KBName:  brdtp.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  60.7 KBName:  spr.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  68.3 KBName:  turkey.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  67.7 KB
    outstanding!! nice bird!! with 1" spurs he's probably a 2 year old maybe 3- nice paint brush!! I killed a nice bird opening day - got pic in "Hunting,Hunting" I've been on 'em 4 of the last 5 days- starting to get that look- seen 3 more longbirds - all too far- aint heard a gobble yet! they'r following hens like 16 year old boys @ the beach after chicks! stay on your hens now - where they'r @ he wont be far behind- they'll start sitting before long & then he'll GOBBLE ! congrats!! love them turkeys! let me know how rest of season goes- I got 4 more tags look'n to fill
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe 50 View Post
    turkeys are hard to age unless your a professional wildlife biologist & of course to an old timer like me ( im 57 & killed 80 gobblers since started huntning 'em I 1988) you wont the old boss Tom- the best way to age them is observing the flock for a while (you can tell the king daddy) - most folks aren't able to take the time to do that so the quickest way to get an estimate is spur length- less than 1" = jake (teenager) 1st year getting an idea whats going on- he will have a fan with the central 1-5 fan feathers 2-3 inches longer than rest of fan- 1" spurs, 2-3 years, old usually 2 unless genetics or poor year held a 3 year old back- after that it gets dicey making a sure guess-then I start looking @ body weight, size head & neck, scars, ect. Beard length is no indication of age- Ive killed 2 year olds w/ 12" beards, 4-5 year olds with 8" beards - my best bird I know was @ least 5 years old (hunted him 4 springs) & was 22 Lbs. 12" beard & spurs 1 & 3/8" on 1 leg & 1 & 1/4" on other- hunting & fishing place I know of got 1 mounted with 1 &1/2 on 1 leg & 1 & 3/8 on other
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !
    Likes Chasing Ghosts LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thats what we call a "limb hanger - you can hang him on a limb by his spurs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast