Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Sullivan State Forest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green Sullivan State Forest

Saw last week, State (DNR) are putting cabins on narrow pit. Just now putting them in. Not ready yet. Had 12 in and looked like Thier putting in several more. Non elect. $30 elect & 35. From what I could tell looked like table an couple chairs an bunks. I've been there on 3 day weekends an never seen camp grounds full. 120 pits to fish

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say,,,,enjoy it while you can. I grew up in strip pit country and had it all to myself for years and years, then AMAX started the land and strip pit giveaway for the tax write offs...sure its nice for the everyday fisherman up to a point until they have been hammered and hammered till the fishing sucks. Back in 72, me and a buddy came out of Nam,,fished a diff. strip pit every day, sometimes 2 a day and never missed a day, no matter what the weather, as we both quit work to fish, trap & hunt for couple of years,, in Clay, Park, Greene, Sullivan, Owen & Vigo counties..and never did fish them all. We caught a lot of 5-8lb bass and thought it was a never ending well of fish,,large crappies, gills, you name it...and little by little over the years,,got shut out of them and run out by changes in land ownership and such. Also,,Trespassing was only a 25.00 fine then. As they always say,,the times they are a changing! Enjoy them while you can.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to go to strip pits in late 60 s early 70 s same thing never saw so many fish schools of bass you just threw a rubber worm out and had a five pounder bluegills all hand size or better Monroe was the same but there are to many people fishn now and not enough fish great life back then wasn t it cevans

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up and went to Staunton H. S. outside Brazil. Meadowlark Farms on AMAX was my school too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished 3 spot in America you could call dream spots and one was in Indiana big bass gills and crappie but as you say the times are changing and those areas are hard to find but it was fun while it lasted and you will find more of um just keep looking

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  97.6 KBThis is from Green Sullivan 2 1/2 weeks ago ice fishing

Post Thanks / Like

With 120 pits available , surely they all can't be fished out . I been planning on going there in May .Can you point me to one that' s still got crappies ? Thanks ...Norm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkey View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  97.6 KBThis is from Green Sullivan 2 1/2 weeks ago ice fishing
    Very nice,,,love the pit fishing.! Keep on hammering them.

Post Thanks / Like

Goose lake , reservoir 26, wampler, graveyard. I'm sure there's others. Just ones I've found crappie at

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minus 1 View Post
    With 120 pits available , surely they all can't be fished out . I been planning on going there in May .Can you point me to one that' s still got crappies ? Thanks ...Norm
    Check out GoosePond also south of Linton..new,,stocked,,and prime right now and little known.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast