Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hot Crappie Stew recipe:

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Hot Crappie Stew recipe:

I just cooked this and boy was it good on a cold evening.
    2 cups sliced mushrooms
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon thyme
    1 quart tomato juice (or vegetable juice cocktail)
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1 pound white fish*
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Hot cooked rice or toasted garlic bread (optional, for serving)**

In a large saucepan, sauté the mushrooms, celery, onion, and garlic in oil over medium heat about 5 minutes.

Add the thyme and sugar; saute 1 minute.

Add the tomato juice, bay leaf, pepper sauce, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; add the fish and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes.

Discard the bay leaf; stir in the parsley and serve hot.
    Name:  crappie stew.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  22.0 KBName:  crappiestew1.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  16.2 KB
    Stockton Lake 215 Bridge
    Likes Jerkey Log, south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That does look good. Thanks.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting. Looks delicious. That is similar to a creole down here. We would add about a pound of peeled shrimp and a couple caps of liquid crab boil. It would be great either way.
    That would just Cajun it up a little.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna try this! Looks real good!! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpisani View Post
    Thanks for posting. Looks delicious. That is similar to a creole down here. We would add about a pound of peeled shrimp and a couple caps of liquid crab boil. It would be great either way.
    That would just Cajun it up a little.
    Care to share your recipe? I am crazy addicted to cajun/creole eats...... can't tell you how many crawfish/shrimp boils I've put on over the past couple of years. I only make it to Louisiana once or twice a year and that's just not enough!

U

Post Thanks / Like

We do a lot of different things with crappie as well. The fish cakes are a big hit at the house. A spicy mayo/old bay/hotsauce dipping sauce makes it one of my favorite meals.

I like the fish stew idea, might have to try it and like he said, Cajun it up.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Route U, I would just alter the above recipe a little. I will try to put it here. As we say down here, first you make a roux. A small one. (flour browned in oil) about 2 table spoons of oil and 2 of flour. This would thicken the gravy. Make sure you use the tomato sauce, not veg. juice. I would also add a can of rotel when simmering. Then I would add shrimp as well. I like to peel my shrimp and toss them in a little liquid crab boil to marinate for a little while. This would give it a nice Cajun up as does the bay leaf. Also some people prefer to broil the fish in the oven, seasoned to taste and drop in at the last minute. I hope I made sense. HappyO's recipe sounds great like it is , just reminded me of creole. Would eat it either way over rice.(we eat everything over rice)
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpisani View Post
    Route U, I would just alter the above recipe a little. I will try to put it here. As we say down here, first you make a roux. A small one. (flour browned in oil) about 2 table spoons of oil and 2 of flour. This would thicken the gravy. Make sure you use the tomato sauce, not veg. juice. I would also add a can of rotel when simmering. Then I would add shrimp as well. I like to peel my shrimp and toss them in a little liquid crab boil to marinate for a little while. This would give it a nice Cajun up as does the bay leaf. Also some people prefer to broil the fish in the oven, seasoned to taste and drop in at the last minute. I hope I made sense. HappyO's recipe sounds great like it is , just reminded me of creole. Would eat it either way over rice.(we eat everything over rice)
    The roux is what gets me........ tends to burn if you don't pay attention. I must have some southern in me.....I, too, love to eat anything over rice.

Thanks!

U
    Likes "D" LIKED above post