Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stained to muddy water

Post Thanks / Like

Default stained to muddy water

hey guys planning a fishing trip friday. been raining in the area but tommorrow should be clear. anyway im expecting the water to be muddy or stained i was wondering how you guys might pick your jig colors for these conditions and should minnows work well in this type water. also do crappie tend to look for places to get cover from the current?

Post Thanks / Like

In stained, darker colored water I like to use a jig with contrasting, dark colors. One we call "the killer" (orange head, black chenele body, charteuse tail hair jig) is a favorite. My rule of thumb is dark in dark and light in light. Live bait is always good cuz they don't get fat on plastic as the saying goes. As for current, depending on how strong it is, they will hold on the down current side behind any structure that will protect them from it and to ambush prey as the current carries it by. So, in current conditions, I'd pitch my jig up current and let it drift or work it down current past the cover and expect the hit as it passes it.
    Last edited by Darryl Morris; 11-01-2006 at 09:25 PM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

thanks im hoping to have a break out day this this go around. last couple times out i caught i few here and there hope this times the one that gives me that confidence boost

Post Thanks / Like

"holding on the down current side" would that apply to blow downs also?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a standing tree along a channel fish the eddy water behind the tree with a minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darryl, Since I fish in a very murky, and very stainded lake here in SW-Ohio. Could ya post a picture of the jig you are discribing. Us Buckeyes need a little guidance!
    Thanks!
    Rick
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick
    Hey Darryl, Since I fish in a very murky, and very stainded lake here in SW-Ohio. Could ya post a picture of the jig you are discribing. Us Buckeyes need a little guidance!
    Thanks!
    Rick
    By itself or tip it with a small minnow.

Darryl Morris

Post Thanks / Like

I either buy mine from Slater's or make my own. I used to use plastics but now prefer the action of hair jig -- http://www.slatersjigs.com/contents.html Most any of the Cajun Specials would be good in stained to muddy water.
    Darryl Morris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stay on the water

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    thanks im hoping to have a break out day this this go around. last couple times out i caught i few here and there hope this times the one that gives me that confidence boost
    Hey bama this mighty from huntsville. I started about two yrs ago chasin crappie. And your breakout day will come. The more you fish the more you catch, also pay attention to whats going on and where the fish are located.
    I fished for months just catching one or two here and there, and then one day boom, them main thing is finding the fish, because no matter how good you think you are if the fish aint there no catch. Also LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, and think about what was happening when the fish did bite.

Be blessed, good fishing.

Peace
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    Hey bama this mighty from huntsville. I started about two yrs ago chasin crappie. And your breakout day will come. The more you fish the more you catch, also pay attention to whats going on and where the fish are located.
    I fished for months just catching one or two here and there, and then one day boom, them main thing is finding the fish, because no matter how good you think you are if the fish aint there no catch. Also LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, and think about what was happening when the fish did bite.

Be blessed, good fishing.

Peace
    Mighty, you just scored a big bullseye. What you said is right on the money. Paying attention to the details will pay off in the longrun. Plus, like my grandpa always said, "If you go enough, you'll be there when it happens."
    Darryl Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast