PDA

View Full Version : Jigging Rod Options for A Guy That's Been Out Of The Loop

KiK
02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Good evening, Ladies & Gentlefishermen,

Looking for suggestions from the old jiggin' crowd concerning a new rod or two...or three.

I have developed the dreadfully contagious Tackle Acquisition Disorder this winter that comes from visiting these Crappie.com forums. Currently my fever can only be lessened by locating a proper new jigging rod or 2. I'd like to find something with the reel seat at the butt end like a fly rod in a 10' to 11' with ample guides. I've never owned one purposed exclusively for jigging and I am thinking I need to add to the empty spot or 2 in my rod holder.

What are my options and who's got 'em?

Thanking you in advance.

NIMROD
02-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Ozarks is my choice. MEATGETTER and Conway both sell them. But I prefer the forward seat myself as it helps brace'n the rod butt on my forearm. I use a pole in each hand being amidexrous and it helps holding one in each hand without loosing control.

l_tedford
02-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Ozark is my choice. I have multiple 11' rear seat Ozarks and love them.

stickum
02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Ozark Rods are my choice, too!! They have the best crappie rods on the market.
I use the 11' rear reel seat for jiggin and love it...

When using the rear reel seat the reel is behind your hand and that part of the rod/handle braces against your forearm.
I like the rear reel seat because I can lay the line across my finger and feel the slightest "bump" on the bait...

You can get them at SimplyCrappie.com (http://simplycrappie.com/OzarkRods.html)

And you can take a look at the Ozark Rod Co. website at www.OzarkRodCompany.com (http://www.ozarkrodcompany.com/)

fe1
02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
There are some Ozark rods for sale in the personal classifieds. Not mine I'm just passin it along!

Hookin'&Cookin'
02-13-2014, 01:14 AM
:ThumbsUp BnM Sam Heaton :ThumbsUp

Wildthang
02-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Ozarks 11' light action is the only way to go

Hookedonslabs
02-13-2014, 09:58 AM
:hesaid
:ThumbsUp BnM Sam Heaton :ThumbsUp

grits and gravy
02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I have never seen an ozark rod in person. I have always used the sams sensitive and the gold series rods. Which ozark jigging rod would compare in the rod action to the gold series. The light or heavy action? Would like to try one out. I am having to replace the tiptop eye about every 2 months on the b&m rods due to the ceramic insert.

eagle 1
02-13-2014, 12:45 PM
I have never seen an ozark rod in person. I have always used the sams sensitive and the gold series rods. Which ozark jigging rod would compare in the rod action to the gold series. The light or heavy action? Would like to try one out. I am having to replace the tiptop eye about every 2 months on the b&m rods due to the ceramic insert.
seems to be a lot of wear in a short period of tome . what size jigs /line are you using ? Thinking about trying braid some and I use the Sam Heaton 11 ' . Got a 12 ' on the way .

stickum
02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
The new Ozark rods don't have the ceramic in the end eye, the Ozark rods have a stainless eye on the end.

I fish Grenada Lake, MS and use the light action Ozark 11' jigging rod. I've never broken an Ozark tip while fishing, even on these big crappie here at Grenada..(have also caught catfish in the 7-10 pound range, gar, drum, and buffalo)......I did however have a person step on one in my boat and broke the end off of the rod but I added a new eye on the end and still use that rod till this day.

KiK
02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the help, gents. Lotta Ozark love it seems. I'm checking em out along with the Sam Heatons.

@fe1...I saw those in the classifieds but they're not rear seats.

I take it the stainless tip is preferable over the ceramic? If I'm using mono, i guess it wouldn't matter so much?

Any input on Wally Marshall Solo rods?

BoarBuster
02-13-2014, 09:35 PM
I should have made my screen name Dr Crappie. Then by way of treating this TAD I would just have you send me the offending tackle to remove it and lessen the addiction. You know out of site out of mind.:Rofl

KiK
02-13-2014, 11:21 PM
I should have made my screen name Dr Crappie. Then by way of treating this TAD I would just have you send me the offending tackle to remove it and lessen the addiction. You know out of site out of mind.:Rofl

Well Dr Crappie, I will keep that in mind if I get caught back up in the tackle dept. My condition must be untreatable however...the more I get, the more I think I need.

BoarBuster
02-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Yhep I guess you could do what I do get two lures and tell the wife in the morning.:Rofl:cheers2

KiK
02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
oOO...I don't tell SWMBO about tackle purchases. I'm even thinking about having it delivered to a neighbor's house. :cool:

Wiskers
02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
oOO...I don't tell SWMBO about tackle purchases. I'm even thinking about having it delivered to a neighbor's house. :cool:

I just hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I gave for it!:biggrin

KiK
02-14-2014, 03:35 PM
HAHAHA...You too, huh?

I think after 40 years with this KY gal, she knows all my tricks...she just don't bother much about it until she's headed up to the big city of a shoe/purse shopping extravaganza