Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Servicing 4-stroke?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Servicing 4-stroke?

I have a 115 Suzuki and normally take it in for service. I'd like to know how to do the servicing my self... this is my first 4-stroke, so be patient.

If someone could explain or give me a link to a site I'd appreciate it.

I'd hate to do it wrong and I know just enough to screw it up... LOL
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stumpbumpers:

I have a 140 Suzuki and do the oil change myself. Your owner's manual has step by step instructions and there isn't much to it - about like changing oil on a riding lawn mower. There are also instructions in your owner's manual for resetting the oil change notification system built into your tac. It keeps track of your oil change intervals and lets you know when it's time to change. Also keeps track of the hours on your engine - pretty neet system.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry's right, it is easy. I'm even able to do it without close supervision, LOL. Change the oil and filter according to instructions every 100 hours on mine, reset the computer with a series of pulls on the kill switch tab and I'm even changing the lower unit every 200 hours. Doing the service yourself certainly saves a lot of money and a ton of time.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

if you need more info or cant fine the owners manul . check this sithtte out .
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

or you might try this one.

http://forums.iboats.com/
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... Just glad to know I did know a little... The lower unit is the issue... Doesn't the oil have to be put in as the old oil comes out?

Thanks for the links papasage
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    Thanks... Just glad to know I did know a little... The lower unit is the issue... Doesn't the oil have to be put in as the old oil comes out?

Thanks for the links papasage
    No, you drain the lower unit and then refill it from the bottom hole - same one you drained it from - until it comes out the top hole. They make a pump that goes on a quart oil bottle with a tube and fitting that threads into the drain/fill hole, which makes it real easy to do. It's best to drain the lower unit after it's been sitting for a day or so with the drain hole at the lowest point. When you first loosen the drain plug look for water or milky oil, which would indicate a bad seal somewhere. If there is ANY sign of moisture in your lower unit oil have it repaired IMMEDIATLEY.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jerry. Glad I asked I hate tearing into something with hopes of saving time and money, only to create less of both...

I found my manual... I thought i had lost it, but I finally cleaned all the close, tools, toys, hats, etc... out of my truck and low and behold it was under the back seat... right where i put it so I won't lose it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    Thanks Jerry. Glad I asked I hate tearing into something with hopes of saving time and money, only to create less of both...

I found my manual... I thought i had lost it, but I finally cleaned all the close, tools, toys, hats, etc... out of my truck and low and behold it was under the back seat... right where i put it so I won't lose it...
    You're all set then. Suzuki has a pretty good Owner's Manaul, at least mine is - has step by step instructions that are easy to follow.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com